Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had a new clutch installed about a month ago (engine was changed under warranty, so I tool the opportunity whilst the engine was out to get a new clutch).

It feels a lot lighter and "grippier", but it's doing something the old cltch used to do.

At low revs its fine, but if you change gear at anything above 3500, you feel some vibration in the pedal when depresing it. It gets worse the higher the revs. The pedal itself has quite a bit of free play.

Is this normal? :?

·
Registered
999 Posts
If there is one, sounds like the "throw out" or "clutch release" bearing is shot ...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that....

They changed the clutch, but the receipt says nothing about them changing the throw out bearing.........you'd think the morons would change that too :roll:

Apart from the pedal vibration, could it damage the clutch?

·
Registered
999 Posts
My 2000 Factory Service Manual shows that there is a clutch release bearing (page CL-15).

Damage the clutch as is? Not likely, but the bearing itself could fail. Then it could damage the levers on the pressure plate (a.k.a. clutch cover), but you should sense the bearing locking up and hopefully will go straight to the shop.

I always replace the throwout bearing when doing the clutch. Not expensive, and a lot easier than doing it later! They are often included in a clutch kit, so it is possible that yours was replaced.

The clutch pedal might just need adjustment -- maybe it isn't fully releasing. That should be easy to check/do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the pedal itself is quite loose, with a bit of sideways free play when disengaged, plus a bit of freeplay up top when depressing it

K

·
0 Posts
If you have free play in your clutch, I am definitely sure it is not the clutch release bearing. The bearing would have made a hell of a noise when worn down.

The real problem is with the pressure plate. Clutch release bearing does not give free play, but pressure plate does. Get it check out ASAP as it will wreck your clutch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch is only 2 months old though, and the freeplay in the pedal was the same with the old clutch.

K

·
0 Posts
Did you have your pressure plate replaced when you have your clutch replaced?

If you did have it replace, check for your clutch fluid levels and bleed it to make sure you have no bubbles in your system.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, they claim they replaced the pressure plate.......which I'd say they did coz the clutch feels about 10 times lighter..

Though I'm not sure if they bled it at all :roll:

K

·
0 Posts
If they had the pressure plate replaced and it feels 10x lighter than the stock. I would be thinking they are using the exedy pressure plate. Pretty light and does the job. Don't try to sudden release the clutch on high rpm load, it may slip.

As with the free play, I have no idea. Try and bleed the clutch oil with regular brake fluid and see if it fix the problem. If it's still there, I'm puzzled as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts