Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vibration in my 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD, 73K miles, that I think is coming from the drivetrain. Not sure, but wondering if someone could help me out.

First, 30-45mph it can randomly vibrate through the floor and dash, and sometimes seat. Happens for approximately 10 seconds then goes away. I don't really feel it directly in the steering wheel.

50-60 not so much, just small amount.

Second, when on the highway, 60mph+ the vibration increases with speed. Stays constant. It's a light vibration, but enough to feel it constant.

Lastly, I notice the vibration more when I turn right than left.

(See the diagram attached for profile of the shaking I'm feeling).

Before tire replacement, had vibrations.
I replaced tires, rebalanced twice. No change.
I replaced front and rear brakes, front and rear rotors, shim kits, lubed pins, etc. No change.
Checked for play in tie rods, ball joint. No play.
Checked for any obvious damage to front and rear axles. No damage.
Checked for swaying (alignment) by hand while driving. Car travels straight.

Any thoughts what it might be? What I should check? Perhaps what I should know before taking it to Toyota?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Engine or gearbox mounts?
Looks like you've done some thorough investigation. Given that you've already checked those things, the next place I'd look is at the mounts. The harmonic resonance at certain speeds could be enough to make the engine/gearbox shudder/shake around on worn mounts? It's just a theory, but it's the best I've got at the moment.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Funny thing is that certain of the '16 Tacoma P/U trucks are experiencing this same phenomena or something very similar (drivers/passengers are becoming ill from the severe vibrations). Toyota hasn't come up with any solution yet, if you figure it out tell them so maybe they will fix the Taco's too! :wink

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting plot - assuming that was picked up using the accelerometer in a smart phone or similar? Vibration is present throughout, though it definitely shows reinforcement typical of a resonance issue. Can't rule out tires, wheels, or powertrain/drivetrain. What type of machine did they use for tire balance, was it capable of road-force testing (Hunter GSP9700 machine)? Swapping around the wheels sort of eliminates the possibility of a bent wheel. Could be a bad hub, bad bearing. Worn mounts, worn suspension, bad strut, abnormal tire wear, bad u-joint, bad CV joint, worn bushings, etc. - all can cause these vibrations at speed. Could try shifting the resonance - back in the early 80's, when Ford came out with that "jellybean" Taurus body style - they had lots of resonance at speed, they fixed that by gluing down two brick-like dampers in the trunk. Could try throwing in a sandbag in rear to shift some weight rearward, see if that does anything different. Vibration worse when turning right vs left is unusual - this with or without passengers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So today the dealership balanced the tires. Claimed the other place I got my tires from improperly balanced the tires. Weights were all off by half ounce and the weights were positioned in the middle of the rim rather than on the edge. Now it drives awesome!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a vibration in my 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD, 73K miles, that I think is coming from the drivetrain. Not sure, but wondering if someone could help me out.

First, 30-45mph it can randomly vibrate through the floor and dash, and sometimes seat. Happens for approximately 10 seconds then goes away. I don't really feel it directly in the steering wheel.

50-60 not so much, just small amount.

Second, when on the highway, 60mph+ the vibration increases with speed. Stays constant. It's a light vibration, but enough to feel it constant.

Lastly, I notice the vibration more when I turn right than left.

(See the diagram attached for profile of the shaking I'm feeling).

Before tire replacement, had vibrations.
I replaced tires, rebalanced twice. No change.
I replaced front and rear brakes, front and rear rotors, shim kits, lubed pins, etc. No change.
Checked for play in tie rods, ball joint. No play.
Checked for any obvious damage to front and rear axles. No damage.
Checked for swaying (alignment) by hand while driving. Car travels straight.

Any thoughts what it might be? What I should check? Perhaps what I should know before taking it to Toyota?

hey i was feeling some similar vibrations, found out from toyota it was my torque converter luckily i was under the waranty still and they replaced it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still having issue... it's really weird.

Going up hills there's a small-medium amount of vibration.
Cold starts driving down the road results in a violent shake in the front end, then goes away and never returns until another cold start.
Highway speeds a small-medium amount of vibration.
It's definitely in the front end.

Thoughts?

I'm going to bring it back at the dealer, this time I'm going to drive test with them. The problem though might be reproducing on the spot 100% of the time. Suggestions on how to handle this with the dealer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^bump

This week I'm taking it in and seeing what they say. Heard about another person with a 2013 with torque converter issues. Could be it.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Salmonz, just a thought but can you leave the car overnight with the dealer? It will likely not be a cold start if you drive it there.

Your description does not sound like a tire issue to me as it happens only in certain circumstances, like a cold start.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Salmonz, just a thought but can you leave the car overnight with the dealer? It will likely not be a cold start if you drive it there.

Your description does not sound like a tire issue to me as it happens only in certain circumstances, like a cold start.

Best of luck.

Should you leave it be sure you're there bright and early the next morning to greet them by the shop door - that way they can't say that they started it up when it was cold and they couldn't duplicate the problem as you'd be a witness to their process. :wink

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any Updates?

Any Updates? I might be having a similar issue, slight vibration from 60 to 70 km per hour and feels like it coimg from the rear end.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
If it is the TC I'd expect it to occur at the same rpm in the different gears. Does it?
My first step would be a transmission fluid flush.

Reactions: ravrun

·
Registered
6 Posts
TC

Yes, it was the TC and I took it in to the dealership to get it repaired... long story short big mistake on my part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So an update to this problem. Tech confirmed torque converter issue with my 2013 RAV4 XLE AWD. Replaced under extended warranty. So lucky I purchased the warranty.

This is clearly a massive (yes, massive!) manufacturing defect. From the amount of people complaining of this problem, I am astounded that Toyota doesn't cover this regardless of warranty. It really has me thinking if I ever want to purchase a Toyota ever again. Had 3 Toyotas and this might be my last.

Before this I bragged to everyone Toyota was a quality vehicle, now all I can think about it lemons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2017 SE had vibration issue today when driving about 55mph on a service road. At first I thought it may be because it was SE model. But it was shaking too much and I don't think the road was rough at all. I have been driving on this road with my old car and never noticed vibration on this road.

I will take my car to dealership next week. They may not be able to reproduce the same issue. Can code reader detect this mechanical issue?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
My 2017 SE had vibration issue today when driving about 55mph on a service road. At first I thought it may be because it was SE model. But it was shaking too much and I don't think the road was rough at all. I have been driving on this road with my old car and never noticed vibration on this road.
Have you checked the tire pressure since you bought it? The factory overfills the tires for shipping and the dealer is supposed to lower the pressure during pre-delivery inspection, but often they don't. Some new owners are reporting 50 or more PSI in the tires when they get home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts