Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 06 Rav 4 has a rattling/vibrating underneath it whenever my RPM's go below 2000. I can drop it into the lower gear at those low speeds and it goes away, because it raises the RPM's. I have had it to the dealer and up on a rack, this doesn't happen. Anyone know what this could be, and why it only happens under the weight of the car? Also, what kind of tires are reccomended for my car. (All Season). I live in Minnesota.
Thanks so much !

I am new to forums and don't really know how to use them yet or how to reply to an answer.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am new to forums and don't really know how to use them yet or how to reply to an answer.
DO NOT publicly post your e-mail address, at least not in raw format like that. It just invites SPAM and scams. Sometimes people post something like:

name <at> domain <dot> com

to confound SPAMbots, but even that's not a great thing to do.

If you want someone to contact you privately, ask them to "PM" you (private message) which can be done in the "User CP" (control panel) section. That's the place where you can edit your profile, signature, etc. as well.

If someone PMs you, the next time you connect to R4W it will alert you that you have a message from someone and link you to view it.

I suggest you edit your original message to delete your e-mail address from it.

In answer to your question, your profile says you have 4WD. Your post mentions "under the weight of the car" but it also sounds like it only happens while in motion and not, for example, when stopped, because you mentioned downshifting only. As such, you might want to have the rear drive shaft universal joints checked out. It could be they're a bit worn and and there's a vibration that occurs at a specific engine harmonic.

(Though that may be a bit of a reach.)

Reactions: minpeach

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 06 Rav 4 has a rattling/vibrating underneath it whenever my RPM's go below 2000. I can drop it into the lower gear at those low speeds and it goes away, because it raises the RPM's. I have had it to the dealer and up on a rack, this doesn't happen. Anyone know what this could be, and why it only happens under the weight of the car? Also, what kind of tires are reccomended for my car. (All Season). I live in Minnesota.
Thanks so much !

Please pm if you have any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
Don't have an answer for you but I removed your email address.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Check for exhaust components...things like heat shields and pipes...very common to cause a rattle...grab the tailpipe (with gloves or after it's cool) and shake it while listening for your noise...

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
Please PM if you have any suggestions.
Over the years I've had several members PM me with general automotive questions such as this topic. I always encourage them to post them on the forums instead since they'll get more opinions and possibly better answers than just mine.
And don't worry about posting something "too sensitive" because you're unfamiliar with forums that go out to the world. As you've just seen we have active moderators that keep an eye on that. In fact I've been here many years and just had a moderator edit one of my posts for something I obviously missed even after multiple re-reads. All good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a vibration / noise under the vehicle when driving at highway speeds. Rear U-Joint had gone bad, here the dealer wanted to replace the entire axle for $1100 plus labor. I instead removed the Axle, took it to a machine / drive line shop who removed the non replaceable u-joints, machined out the axle and replaced it with a serviceable U-Joint. Cost was around $250 total.

Totally got rid of the noise / vibration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts