Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is odd.. Went to registrant the car but they said my car's inspection was not done. I had an copy of the inspection receipt and sent a copy to the DMV. The DMV calls me back and says the VIN number on the receipt does not match my car's VIN number. Sure enough they were right different number. This is the second time this problem has come up where during an OBD on my car a different VIN number appears. My mechanic says maybe it happen during a "check engine light" repair but he can't fix this issue only Toyota dealer can

Now I can't get my car registerer until this is corrected. Anyone hear of this happening

·
Registered
91 Posts
did it have a used ECM installed at some point?

Many basic scan tools will read the VIN from the ECM.

you will have to compare the ECM to the dashboard tag and figure out which one is right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What ever...

Had to get the air bag recall done so I took the car to the dealer. S "they say" they updated the car's computer and put the VIN back in. I don't know how it was removed in the first place but it cost me $130 plus the cost of another inspection. Who's to say they did anything. Just wandering if anyone else encountered something like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts