Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of the new 129 Plus duo from Viofo direct. I also bought a high endurance 256 SanDisk card from B & H. I registered both products to help with any warranty items if needed. Viofo gives you an extra 6 months of warranty when registering for a total of 18 months. This is important because the cameras + card will live in a high heat car in Florida + I read that SanDisk will support better if registered and the high endurance card is designed for security cams

This weekend I may start the install. At this point I don't need the parking features and external batter, but one day I may. I am just not ready to shell out $300 for something I don't need at the moment

Probably for now I will just use the included 12 volt socket to power both cameras. Maybe one day I will hard wire it, with and external battery. I did not purchase the 4K version due to poor performance in high heat applications such as mine + the Sony Starvis sensor that I have works better at night, which is a good part of my driving. FYI, it uses the same Sony sensor as the V119V3 for the front Camera + gives you WiFi and a 1080 rear camera for about $150.It also does h265 if I want to use it but I am reading that many LE and insurance can read these compression codecs yet.

My main concerns during install is not to cross any air bags.

One nice feature of this new mode is that each camera processes their own video but it is keep on the single card.

Also, the rear camera cable is thinner than the ones in the past so that should help with the install.

One key to purchasing these camera's and memory cards is to get them form an authorized dealers as there are a lot of counterfeit items + support is better if you have an issues.

One concern I have now is if I should buy the suction cup so I can take the front camera to another car or use the 3M sticky tape.

Any advise on anything I mentioned is appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just took delivery of the new 129 Plus duo from Viofo direct. I also bought a high endurance 256 SanDisk card from B & H. I registered both products to help with any warranty items if needed. Viofo gives you an extra 6 months of warranty when registering for a total of 18 months. This is important because the cameras + card will live in a high heat car in Florida + I read that SanDisk will support better if registered and the high endurance card is designed for security cams

This weekend I may start the install. At this point I don't need the parking features and external battery, but one day I may. I am just not ready to shell out $300 for something I don't need at the moment

Probably for now I will just use the included 12 volt socket to power both cameras. Maybe one day I will hard wire it, with and external battery. I did not purchase the 4K version due to poor performance in high heat applications such as mine + the Sony Starvis sensor that I have works better at night, which is a good part of my driving. FYI, it uses the same Sony sensor as the V119V3 for the front Camera + gives you WiFi and a 1080 rear camera for about $150.It also does h265 if I want to use it but I am reading that many LE and insurance cant read these compression codecs yet.

My main concerns during install is not to cross any air bags.

One nice feature of this new mode is that each camera processes their own video but it is keep on the single card.

Also, the rear camera cable is thinner than the ones in the past so that should help with the install.

One key to purchasing these camera's and memory cards is to get them form an authorized dealers as there are a lot of counterfeit items + support is better if you have an issues.

One concern I have now is if I should buy the suction cup so I can take the front camera to another car or use the 3M sticky tape.

Any advise on anything I mentioned is appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed the duo (non-plus) camera and hardwired it. My only advice is to start running the rear camera cable from the front to back, not from the trunk. This is because there will be extra cable that’s easy to coil up in the rear panel. There is very little room to hide any extra cable in the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually just installed that exact same dashcam inside my RAV4. As mentioned above, when running the rear dash cam start from the front. The hardest part of the install was running the USB cable through the plastic wire tube.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished running the front camera wire behind the side air bag and the rear cable behind the top of the side air bag. I now will follow the headliner to the rear.

Did you get the camera to update? I never saw the message "TX start update FW"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished running the front camera wire behind the side air bag and the rear cable behind the top of the side air bag. I now will follow the headliner to the rear.

Did you get the camera to update? I never saw the message "TX start update FW"

I haven't actually tried to update. I took a look at the changelog and there's nothing I really care about.

When running the rear cable. Running it through the body lining at 1, then through the grommet at 2, and then putting the excess cable at 3 and finally exiting at 4 will give the cleanest look in my opinion.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. A little bit of Dawn and pushing the micro USB gently through with a screw driver did the trick getting in through the boot. Hopefully I will never need the cameras for proof and only for showing nice places I have been!

At some point in the future, I may get an external battery and use parking mode. Right now I don't have a need.

I haven't actually tried to update. I took a look at the changelog and there's nothing I really care about.

View attachment 156956

When running the rear cable. Running it through the body lining at 1, then through the grommet at 2, and then putting the excess cable at 3 and finally exiting at 4 will give the cleanest look in my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the tips. A little bit of Dawn and pushing the micro USB gently through with a screw driver did the trick getting in through the boot. Hopefully I will never need the cameras for proof and only for showing nice places I have been!

At some point in the future, I may get an external battery and use parking mode. Right now I don't have a need.
You can get the hardwire kit HK3 to be used for both normal usage and parking mode.
I already installed the A129 Duo last year and might try to swap it with the A129 plus Duo this weekend.
I replaced the A129 Duo with the newer A129 Plus Duo since last August and it's so far so good.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I have no need for parking mode at the present time as the car lives in a garage and I only use it one day a week and its left in a secure space. I use my wife's older Prius around town.

Further down the road, I am thinking about installing a LiPo auxiliary battery and some sort of battery isolator. If and when I do, I will connect the Dashcam to it with a low voltage cut off such as the one you mentioned. FYI, I have a hybrid so I would not trust the little AGM battery + its expensive.

You can get the hardwire kit HK3 to be used for both normal usage and parking mode.
I already installed the A129 Duo last year and might try to swap it with the A129 plus Duo this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts