Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that VIS sells a CF hood for the Rav, but it only goes up to year 2003. I have a 2004. But I was wondering, is there a big difference in just the hood from a 2003 to a 2004? I'm wondering if I would still be able to put it on my car or not..

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
There should be no difference but ask VIS to put it in writing that it fits.
Also remember that if safety is a big concern to you than you should think 2X's about getting the hood. Just remember it is a part of your crumple zone. If that wasn't the case i would be looking for one or would make one myself with custom air intakes.
2 reasons for me where the light weight, and if i made it, having a unique custom intake more aggressive than the OEM one.

:D

Walt

·
Registered
682 Posts
Have a look at these pics. The hoods look a little bit different don't they? The more i look the more i confuse myself :roll:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Moza, the hoods look exactly the same. It appears that the grille and bumpers between those 2 RAVs are different; therefore, causing an optical illusion of sorts. Then again, I could be wrong. :shock:

Funny how 2 RAV4.1 owners are trying to figure this out. A 4.2 owner should go out to their RAV and take some measurements. :lol:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The 4.2 / 04’s and 05’s have a minor restyling. Thus like Derek said you will see body some body parts changed. Even the Chili has it’s own small changes but all the parts are usually simple mods that make the most for a different look.
As for the pics, always be careful of the camera angle, lens settings, lighting etc...
:wink:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Did we forget that the headlights changed too?

This is also a simple question that can be answered by simply calling Toyota rather than waiting for a response from a bunch of people on this forum who don't know. I assume no one family here has both models. I assume too that Toyota dealerships have seen and worked with tons of 'em daily and will know off the bat. They can also do a parts check.

San Francisco #: (415) 750-8300

·
Registered
682 Posts
So now you're against people posting questions on forums? Do you know that's what forums like these are designed for.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The lights housing or mounting brackets had changed?
Toyota would have to fire someone on that decision. :roll:

,,, Mount a 02 in the 05 and see what you get. :wink:

·
Registered
682 Posts
The actual light housing/shape has definitely changed. You can see it in the pics i posted. Not sure about the mounting points though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mohit said:
So now you're against people posting questions on forums? Do you know that's what forums like these are designed for.
Not at all. Don't get me wrong. I'm simply suggesting that certain questions can be answered much more efficiently by simply picking up the phone. The forum has been very very very helpful in figuring out things that have not been addressed by the toyota guys or that the toyota guys simply do not know about. I have featured numerous tutorial (some video on google) and am happy to do so to help fellow members. Since I've done the work, why not share and make it easier for everyone?

Certain things like tire reviews and other product information are virtually unknown by dealers. Actual mileage may be unknown to dealers too. This forum has helped tremendously to address these questions, concerns. Finding out if a part fits however is a simple move that only takes a phone call. I've posted the phone number to make it even easier.

Forums are a valuable suppliment, but shouldn't be used to replace existings resources.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Mohit, the turning signal light cluster internally definitely has changed.
There may be some bulge on its extremes but all contact points to the original 4.2 should be the same. So you could easily swap one from my 02 to the 04 or 05….
If you ask a Toyota guy you quite possibly will say that it does not fit because he will look in his book and see a different part number. As for the hood, the cost of creating another press is very high so unless the 2.4 engine did not fit. So cost wise it would not too much sense to change it. Plus we must remember that this is not an AZTEK…. The only way to do a minor redesign to that was to recycle it. :lol: :lol:

And you are right about the forums. I Engineer parts, Do Product Design and do a lot of hands on fixing so when I post I give what my opinion is and try to explain how sure I am about it and I hope people appreciate it. Same goes for when I have a question. Much great knowledge is through experience, trail and error and that’s what we all can get from these forums. Not to mention friendship.

Cheers, :D

Walt

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can't wait :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
So the weather still hasn't really cleared up and photobucket has been hacked, but here are some pics:

Heres the gap on the right side. The gap on the left it a bit smaller, I think I bent my hinges a bit trying to get the other hood off by myself:

It took a bit of filing to get the nozzles to fit:

I'm going to attempt to fiberglass myself a new bumper this weekend, as long as the weather is nice. Maybe even fit the 4 inch STI hood scoop I have to the hood. And I'm still not sure whether I should paint the hood or not...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Campspring nice STUFF !! :cheers:

Damn your really dishing out the mods 8)

I luv carbon fiber, but not a big fan of the "carbon fiber look"

However, in with the base black look (like yours),, does go well on
the tuner car, Bright,flashy color schemes like, orange, red, and especially Yellow.

How much did the OEM Steel VS the CFiber weigh? I'm guessing you've shedded a
good 35+ lb's

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Walt! Many more mods to come, I'll keep the pictures coming along with them.

I was originally looking for just a fiberglass hood, because I wanted to fiberglass a scoop to it and have it painted the same colour as the rest of the rav.

However the company I was dealing with (Deft Racing) came back and said their mold was broken and offered a carbon fiber hood. The carbon fiber one, because of a shipping discount, came to a total of only 50$ more than the fiberglass.

So I'm now still trying to decide whether or not I paint over the CF look..

And yes the weight difference between the two was HUGE, the CF hood feels to me like 2 heavy textbooks :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey camspring,
LOVE the look! I want one of those for my black beauty- it would be subtle, but nice. I think that you should keep the carbon fibre hood so it stands out from all the other "soccer mom" suvs we see on the road. :lol: Also, may I suggest you complete the jdm/tuner look by putting chrome hood pins on the hood like this:

http://www.venommotorsports.com/images/library/HoodPinHood.jpg

and here's the tutorial of how to install them without drilling:

http://www.venommotorsports.com/library/hoodpins.asp

Keep it up! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
174 Posts
mmm that looks like it requires drilling but thats alright im planning on it. i have low-profile semi carbon fiber locking hood pins waiting to be installed, the bottom parts are already on, i just need to get the drilling done :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mohit said:
I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm just saying that the question can be answered very quickly by a source that knows. It looks like people who don't know are just saying they have a hunch about this and a hunch about that. Personally, I think if the headlights are the same and can interchanged (which I'm not sure of), then the hood should also be the same. I'd just hate for people to being giving info they're not 100% sure on. And I would not recommend the guy to go with information less than 100%. Just trying to save the guy some time and money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts