Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new 2017 RAV4 XLE FWD with the convenience package which includes the horrendous Toyota "voice recognition" navigation system.

I've gone through the voice recognition training...twice even.

The darn thing doesn't recognize anything I tell it, except "cancel navigation". If I say, "Give me directions to Target", it responds "Which bakery would you like". And more like that.

If I key in the destination, it mostly finds it...but not always either.

Everyone I know who owns a Toyota complains about the nav system...and now I see why.

Anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I can do to improve this? I'd like to throw it out the window and just use my iPhone for directions, which with Apple Maps and Siri, or Google Maps or even Waze works absolutely perfect. So it's not my voice.

And BTW, when I use Toyota's voice recognition to call someone hands free from my iPhone contacts list, it works perfectly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use the Entune App suite, it has a destination finder you can use on your phone and save before ever getting into your car. It then asks you to sync the destinations once you have it running on your vehicle. We go over all of this at the time of delivery at our dealership, especially for those that don't grind every last penny out of our commission. Service costs something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
I have a simple BlueTooth system called BluLogic. With it I can use Siri which works almost perfectly, with my voice or my wife's voice. No training required. You can't beat Apple's voice recognition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use the Entune App suite, it has a destination finder you can use on your phone and save before ever getting into your car. It then asks you to sync the destinations once you have it running on your vehicle. We go over all of this at the time of delivery at our dealership, especially for those that don't grind every last penny out of our commission. Service costs something.

Sorry, but if I'm purchasing a car from you and your dealership, I would expect you to provide the service of going through the car features...whether your customer gets a good deal or not.

I'm dismayed, however, about your attitude about better service "for those that don't grind every last penny out of our commission". To me, that's a crappy sales person. I know you have to make a living. But in this day and age, everyone who has access to the internet knows what's a fair price and what isn't. And to categorize "good customers" and "bad customers" as to whether they work hard at getting a fair deal is poor on your part.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry, but if I'm purchasing a car from you and your dealership, I would expect you to provide the service of going through the car features...whether your customer gets a good deal or not.

I'm dismayed, however, about your attitude about better service "for those that don't grind every last penny out of our commission". To me, that's a crappy sales person. I know you have to make a living. But in this day and age, everyone who has access to the internet knows what's a fair price and what isn't. And to categorize "good customers" and "bad customers" as to whether they work hard at getting a fair deal is poor on your part.

And look, I just did it for free. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just bought a brand new 2017 RAV4 XLE FWD with the convenience package which includes the horrendous Toyota "voice recognition" navigation system.

I've gone through the voice recognition training...twice even.

The darn thing doesn't recognize anything I tell it, except "cancel navigation". If I say, "Give me directions to Target", it responds "Which bakery would you like". And more like that.

If I key in the destination, it mostly finds it...but not always either.

Everyone I know who owns a Toyota complains about the nav system...and now I see why.

Anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I can do to improve this? I'd like to throw it out the window and just use my iPhone for directions, which with Apple Maps and Siri, or Google Maps or even Waze works absolutely perfect. So it's not my voice.

And BTW, when I use Toyota's voice recognition to call someone hands free from my iPhone contacts list, it works perfectly.
It is horrible and provides much amusement for my wife when I attempt to use same. I know that sites exist that feature mistranslated Siri commands....I'll bet the results of our voice commands for navigation could provide similar vagary:wink

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the world of Toyota technology.

I bought a 2013 Rav4 Limited, aka: Rattletrap. I thought I was going to have to trade in the Rav in for something else but through internet searching and hard work I fixed most but not all of the noises.
I've since test driven Ford, Acura, Honda, Kia, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Chevy and Volvo... After checking those cars out, I now know Toyota tech systems are close to, if not at the bottom. They just plain suck, as does the interior design, THE WORST.

I'm just sayin, the good old days of Toyota being #1 in quality are OVER.

Wishing you all happiness and good fortune. T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just received an over the air software update for the 2017 RAV4. I'm hoping this corrects some of the issues with the voice recognition, not to mention a whole bunch of other annoyances in the infotainment system.

I'll post after I try it out and explore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good luck! I gave up and use Google Maps on the phone. Half the time, 1/10 the hassle, and you can change your destination without stopping the car every time.
Yep. The navigation and voice commands are awful! Training does nothing to improve it. The Maxi-multi-step procedure to enter an address is next to useless in the real world. Cortana, Google, and Siri can get it on the first try.

At any rate, I came to this thread to see if anyone can explain how to get Google maps audio through the car's Bluetooth. I think I got to happen once but don't remember how. I don't understand as the Bluetooth connection automatically works for the phone audio and music player, but not for Google maps audio. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had no problems with my voice recognition

I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with advanced technology package. I regularly use the voice recognition for changing the station on the radio (AM/FM/satellite) and to make phone calls. Admittedly I'm not getting really complex with my requests but so far I think it works well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the world of Toyota technology.

I bought a 2013 Rav4 Limited, aka: Rattletrap. I thought I was going to have to trade in the Rav in for something else but through internet searching and hard work I fixed most but not all of the noises.
I've since test driven Ford, Acura, Honda, Kia, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Chevy and Volvo... After checking those cars out, I now know Toyota tech systems are close to, if not at the bottom. They just plain suck, as does the interior design, THE WORST.

I'm just sayin, the good old days of Toyota being #1 in quality are OVER.

Wishing you all happiness and good fortune. T
Must be a first year 2013 thing. My 2015 is not a "rattle trap". Pretty solid actually. I have an LE and I love the interior and so does everyone who has ridden in my car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Must be a first year 2013 thing. My 2015 is not a "rattle trap". Pretty solid actually. I have an LE and I love the interior and so does everyone who has ridden in my car.
My 2013 after 4 years is still ultra-quiet. Guess I just got lucky?

In any case, regarding NAV, in my 2013 vehicle that was the BIGGEST waste of money considering every smart phone sold today and 4 yrs ago does rings around ANY built in NAV. My friend has a new Tesla (what an f'in vehicle other than the fact he has to stop at the mall and charge it when he visits me!) and even that 65" UHD 3D super Nav display :) is no better than in my 3 yr old smartphone. But it sure as h3ll LOOKS a lot prettier!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2013 after 4 years is still ultra-quiet. Guess I just got lucky?

In any case, regarding NAV, in my 2013 vehicle that was the BIGGEST waste of money considering every smart phone sold today and 4 yrs ago does rings around ANY built in NAV. My friend has a new Tesla (what an f'in vehicle other than the fact he has to stop at the mall and charge it when he visits me!) and even that 65" UHD 3D super Nav display :) is no better than in my 3 yr old smartphone. But it sure as h3ll LOOKS a lot prettier!
Cool!. I am glad your 2013 is doing well. I expect to keep mine for 10 years or more with little difficulty.

I didn't bother getting NAV on mine. Guess I did the right thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One solution only

You are doing nothing wrong. As good as Toyota's are for quality, the navigation systems are just terrible. I have a 2015 and it was bad then and apparently they still are now.
I did come across one way to fix this. It is the only sure fire way to do so.
You will need:
1 cigarette light adapter
1 roll of Duct tape
1 external Navigation device, Tom, Tom, Garmin, Magellan, your pick
Plug it in, get out your duct tape and tape the navigation device to the front of the Toyota Navigation screen.
Sorry, only way to fix it, since Toyota doesn't seem to want to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You poor guy. Is there any way you can return vehicle or get rid of it. This is just the start of many many many problems that you are going to encounter.

·
Registered
124 Posts

This is why I really appreciate the forum. It wasn't covered in my preflight and I missed it in the manual. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts

With all due respect to your dealership, my salesman made a nice commission and I got only enough information to drive my car out of the dealership lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just received an over the air software update for the 2017 RAV4. I'm hoping this corrects some of the issues with the voice recognition, not to mention a whole bunch of other annoyances in the infotainment system.

I'll post after I try it out and explore.
How do you update your software over the air?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts