Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first post to this forum.
I am thinking about buy my first Toyota. Volkswagen tiguan or toyota rav4?
What would u chose? would u chose the tiguan just because it is a vw?

Very appreciated your opinion

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's a reason why you don't see many late model vws, or audis.
Especially the new beetle, they are almost gone now, I think in 5 years time there will be more 1974 beetles than 2004 beetles in the world.
The tiguan looks nice though but smaller capacity

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know about vw because I've never owned one... but it looks like, at least for year 2009,the V6 RAV4 gets better mileage than the 4cly Tiguan... and the V6 RAV4 is VERY fun
..and fast. I'm very happy with my RAV4 V6.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The rav4 is much more practical. The cargo space in the rav4 puts the Tiguan to shame. The Tiguan drives much better than the rav4 and very stable on hwy speed. The maintenance on vw is generally much cheaper than Toyota.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Before I got my RAV4, I almost bought a Tiguan. Tiguan is definitely a fun car to drive, but RAV4 has many advantages over it.
1. RAV4 has a lot more cargo space, leg and head room
2. RAV4 is cheaper to purchase
3. RAV4 is much more reliable
4. RAV4 is much easier to maintain and cheaper to maintain

·
Registered
131 Posts
Consumer Reports 2012 best small SUV...Toyota Rav4...a six year old design beats all others. JD Power, Rav4 best retained value, highest resale in the segment...The rav has better interior room, more HP, better gas milage, lockable 4WD, seating for 7, 3500 Lbs towing rating with the V6...oh, and besty of all it's not a VW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We just bought our 2012 Limited V6 over the Tiguan. We are VW people, have one in the stable now, looking at the 2013 GLI hard to replace that one. Nothing drives or handles like a VW. BUT...the value is just not there in the Tiguan. I bought a top of the line RAV4, 10+ cubic feet more space inside, almost 70 hp more for $10,000 less. I couldn't justify spending that much more in the Tiguan.

I have driven both many times, and yes the Tig is fun, the 2.0 turbo is fun to listen to wind up, etc, but this is no contest. If only the RAV had HID and LED DRL....maybe we can work on a 2013 RAV EV headlight swap? It looks like they will have those features. Oh well.

Buy the Toyota, you will be happy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No you don't...but it is recommended for top performance and fuel economy.
Without premium gas, you're not getting the 200 hp that you paid good money for. The ignition timing would likely be retarded to prevent engine damages, resulting in loss of power.

You will lost 6-10 hp, let's say a modest 3-5%, using regular gas. The net power is not that far off from the power out of a regular I4 engine using regular gas in the RAV4. I guess the saving grace is that Tiguan has the DSG 6 speed tranny to save the day. If Toyota puts 6 speed tranny in Rav4, that would be perfect :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Without premium gas, you're not getting the 200 hp that you paid good money for. The ignition timing would likely be retarded to prevent engine damages, resulting in loss of power.

You will lost 6-10 hp, let's say a modest 3-5%, using regular gas. The net power is not that far off from the power out of a regular I4 engine using regular gas in the RAV4. I guess the saving grace is that Tiguan has the DSG 6 speed tranny to save the day. If Toyota puts 6 speed tranny in Rav4, that would be perfect :thumbs_up:
Agreed on all of the above. Big difference between the 5 speed in RAV now and the 6 DSG, which of course also has paddle shifters for a little fun...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
VW has too sketchy a reliability record for my tastes. I want to drive my car, not fix it. We've had a couple of VWs in the family, and while I'll admit they are generally better driver's cars, the on-going maintenance and repair hassles are PITA, not to mention expensive. If you want trouble-free practicality, low operating cost, and don't mind loosing maybe 10% on the fun factor, go for the Rav.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The problem we had is that we wanted an SUV for some room, and the Tig just didn't cut it. (The Jetta Sportwagon might be a good alternative for those wanting to haul stuff.)

That's OK, our other car is similar to the Tiguan, a Golf TDI. If only the Tiguan came in a TDI version (it does not, in the US). Of course, it'd be even more expensive, then...

·
Registered
491 Posts
From the Car and Driver, 2010 SUV test:

"Fitted with the most-powerful-in-class V-6, the RAV4 is the quickest to 60 mph, is the fleetest through the quarter-mile, and offers the greatest top speed. Yet it is also the smoothest of the bunch and—this is the incredible part—managed to tie the Honda’s little four-banger for best observed fuel economy despite having two more cylinders."

"And the kudos for this compact SUV didn’t stop there. The Toyota’s transmission was deemed the slickest, never drawing attention to itself. The chassis imposes disciplined body motions on the vehicle while simultaneously delivering a ride as plush as the Mariner’s."

I can vouch for all of the above.....we don't need no stinking 6 speed! :rolleyes:

Did I buy the right one or what!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
No, I would not choose Tiguan over Rav for all the reasons stated above.
But, I would get the new X3 if the price was right.
I suggest looking at Highlander, bigger vehicle, quieter ride, still a Toyota.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sometime in the 90s, VW reintroduced their car in my country, 2 years later, they packed up, cars couldn't handle the conditions, just didn't hold up, European cars just too mechanical drives good but just expensive to maintain, my neighbors range rover is in the dealership every two months, such a big hassle

1 - 20 of 53 Posts