Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love the VW but I am also worried about the reliablity and maintainance costs. My buddy was telling me just last night that his BMW was in the shop now getting the 60K mile service and the bill was $2300.00! In twenty years of owning Toyota's I dont think I have spent more than $500.00 for maintainance.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
Sometime in the 90s, VW reintroduced their car in my country, 2 years later, they packed up, cars couldn't handle the conditions, just didn't hold up,
What country is that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
V-Dub Tig versus RAV4

Before I bought my RAV... I looked at the Tig... There are things to like and disclike, like most cars...
VW & Audi do a great job on the driver experience, nice interiors, and great feedback from the road as your drive...fit&finish is very nice.
The bad is costly maintenance, the 2.0 Turbo has a ton of lag at around 2k rpms... and it is smaller inside. and I believe you will get kicked in the butt when you trade it later down the road... it will fall hard on resale value.

The RAV has the lower cost, higher value for the buck, and reasonable cost of ownership factor that can't be beat when you get the V6.
If you look at the I4 version, it gets crowded out there and you have a few more choices for a small crossover.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you like going to the dealer a lot, get the VW. VW/Audi break down more often, repairs are $$$$$, and resale is less than toyota.

·
Registered
137 Posts
don't get a vw. you'll live to regret it. i'm just trying to help you. and i'm not getting paid to give you such a great advice.:wall

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go drive a 2012 Rav4 V6. Look at the cargo storage space UNDER THE FLOOR in the rear. Are you kidding me? It is the best car in the segment bar none. I just bought one after considering the alternatives in order to have a small SUV, with power to tow 3500 pounds, and storage. The only option is a Ford Edge, and I don't want one!! Took a 2012 V6 Rav for a test drive, looked at the under floor storage - OUTSTANDING. Bought one with the tow prep package, and having the dealer install the factory OEM towing hitch. A jewell!! Toyota messed up one of the best small SUV's on the market by eliminating the V6.

·
Registered
847 Posts
don't get a vw. you'll live to regret it. i'm just trying to help you. and i'm not getting paid to give you such a great advice.:wall

Aren't you the guy that started the thread, I won't again buy any Toyota vehicle, a few weeks ago blasting Toyota and the RAV4? (click here) What happened, did you have a change of heart? :p

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
Aren't you the guy that started the thread, I won't again buy any Toyota vehicle, a few weeks ago blasting Toyota and the RAV4? (click here) What happened, did you have a change of heart? :p
Note he's not saying buy a Toyota. At least that's consistent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the only good volkswagens were the ones made in the early days, in the 50's and the 60's. if the vw company built air-cooled vws today of the quality of the early years, i would buy one.
i was giving a good advice to robin623 before he bought a vw that i thought he would regret. i wrote the thread about " not buying any toyotas" because i was robbed of justice by an incompetent service manager at a dealership. This service manager then smeared my name ( my personality, or whatever you call it) in his own defense to Toyota Motors in order to save his own skin. The way Toyota Motors handled this situation was like i was just "a number". if Toyota Motors treated me as a number, then you and many more people can be sure they would be treated as "numbers". my question to you: " why would you buy a product from a company that treats you as a number?

i've spoken to the owner of the dealership by phone ( by the way it!s unusual to be able to speak to the owner of network of dealerships). i'm now awaiting for a response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
VW Tig or Rav4...? Now no V6, now what...

The questions still remains... since for 2013 the Rav will not have a V6 option or a turbo.... what will existing RAV4 folks due when they are ready to trade and they have to ask themselves... Now what ?, there is no rig out there as a CUV that has the V6 option and the set up of the RAV's great storage and other features.... will they stay with another RAV4 or cross the line over to another brand.....? and which one would be the closest fit to what we have now?

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
The questions still remains... since for 2013 the Rav will not have a V6 option or a turbo.... what will existing RAV4 folks due when they are ready to trade ....
That's the nice thing about buying used and keeping cars for 200,000 miles. I can buy a 2012 years from now and be perfectly happy.
Actually that's probably the answer many V6 lovers will use - keep their 2011 & 2012s longer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want a smallish luxury suv with a turbo why not an acura. They have it far more dialed. If you want small and fun to drive get a subaru wrx. The tiguan gets high marks but damn it is expensive.

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
If you want a smallish luxury suv ...
I don't want luxury - or it's price tag. The only one I want to impress is me.
If you want small and fun to drive get a subaru wrx.
Too small and not the sleeper the RAV4 is. Besides, I had a Forester and I don't want to replace head gaskets every 100,000 miles.
The tiguan gets high marks but damn it is expensive.
1. It's a VW.
2. I don't even like the name.
3. No other info needed!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Spot on, Dyno :thumbs_up: I never buy new anyway, too much money lost as soon as you drive off the lot.

Hmmmm... I wonder if a early v6 from a wrecked 2006 or something would fit in this 2013 a couple of years from now? :cool:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts