Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have 2006 RAV4 standard. Three lights suddenly came on in dashboard and are still on despite I drove about 50 miles with them on. Lights are 4WD, VSC and Malfunction. Does anyone knows what they mean and are they indicate serious problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have 2006 RAV4 standard. Three lights suddenly came on in dashboard and are still on despite I drove about 50 miles with them on. Lights are 4WD, VSC and Malfunction. Does anyone knows what they mean and are they indicate serious problem?

Thanks

I believe this "sticky" thread from the Mechanical area contains a discussion on exactly that situation:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/85765-check-engine-light-vsc-4wd-lights-explained.html

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Altho the thread DVS refers to is very thorough there are 200+ posts to review. A quicker method, and something you'll have to do anyway, is have the codes read and reset. I have several inexpensive readers for that job but any auto parts store such as AutoZone, Advance Auto or whoever you have in your area will generally do it for you for free. Report the results to us for best direction. In any case unless a RED light such as the oil light comes on (my wife just came home from a mile away saying hers was blinking!) it's safe to drive. 4WD is probably disabled however.

Also, I know you were probably in a hurry but it's not a good idea to use an email address as a userid. Opens you up for spam, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Okay, just checked out the RAV4. Since she called it the OIL light I first opened the hood and pulled the dipstick = full, safe to start the engine. No oil light but the CE, 4WD and VSC lights are on and the engine is missing.

Plugged in my cheapie Actron PocketScan Plus (here's one on eBay) and got P0304 which is a misfire on cylinder four. Reset the code by holding the ERASE button down for a few seconds and all the lights went off and the engine ran smooth again.

I'll drive the car later today to see it the issue comes back but since the '06 V6 has had a history on bad coils and I've replaced all of them with $15 ones it's possible I'll have to spend another $15.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Same lights with CE blinking after 1/2 mile. Same P0304, misfire cylinder 4. Swapped coils 4 & 6. Easily done since 2, 4 & 6 are on the front bank. Then got P0306. Replaced coil 6 with one of my new spares. Apparently one of the $15 coil only lasted 3 years.

·
Registered
164 Posts
3 years only? Darn. I replace 4 out of 6 in mine just over 2.5 years ago. Got to start looking for the spare part now.....

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
3 years only? Darn. I replace 4 out of 6 in mine just over 2.5 years ago. Got to start looking for the spare part now.....
Yeah, but no worries. I've been buying three or six for less than the dealer or AP stores want for one. And installation is free & fun. Still have one spare. Maybe my next should be these 10 year warrantied ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey bud ...don't worry...this happened to me as well and naturally I panicked. If you've recently got gas make sure you gas cap is free of ice build up and properly screwed in. These engines automatically turn off traction control and all wheel drive when the engine is not working at peak performance. Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts