Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 rav 4cyl. The vsc light comes on in the first half mile or so when driving. The trac control may apply itself first which then makes the vsc light come on.
I did the jumper test going between pins 4 and 13 on the obd port. The vsc light flashes 6 times, and the PS light flashes once and then 4 times. The ABS light just flashes steady. I also have a little bit of a clunk in the steering as well. All of this started immediately after I had gotten a tire rotation.
The check engine light has NOT come on, and my daughters OBD 2 scanner has not found any codes.
This has been frustrating to research online because everything they show includes the CEL. I don't have that problem!

Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Solve the "clunk". One wheel is probably not correctly mounted and you might lose it.
The ABS senses probably that something is not OK and that's why you have the codes.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
First I'd check all the lug nuts for tightness.

Since the CEL isn't on you don't have an emissions related issue, thus no OBDII codes.

The blinking codes the jumper method reads are from the Skid Control ECU. A steady flash indicates no error with that system, ABS in this case. I have the list somewhere so we can interpret the other ones if necessary but I'd suggest clearing them first using the 8 taps on the brake pedal with the jumper in place. See if that clears them all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed the clunk a few weeks before this happened, but I'll check it out anyways. I will also clear the codes and see what happens. I would like to know what the codes it showed mean.
Thank you.
This is a great website!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure the wheels are tight. Cleared the codes with the jumper wire and tapping the brakes 8 times which made the VSC light begin to blink steady,but it did not clear the PS light. I'm not sure if the PS light is blinking 1 and then 4, or if it's 4, and then 1 . The TRAC is still coming on when I first accelerate, especially if making a turn, then an eighth of a mile or so further down the road and the VSC light comes on.
Could someone please look up what code the PS light is saying.
Thank you all so much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Personally I have bought a couple of Techstream cable adapters (because... why not) and installed Techstream on one of my unused Windows 7 laptops. That is really helpful and cheap to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked out Techstream and it seems awesome, but I wouldn't be able to get it since we only have mac computers at our house.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The laptop that I have dedicated for various tech duties (Techstream for Toyota, Forscan for my Fords) is a Dell Latitude E4310, with Windows 7 (don't know if Win 10 will work with Techstream). Got it from eBay long time ago, probably now they are like $100.

Also I have an advanced reader, an Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro that can read multiple car brands (but cannot change settings like Techstream).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe the steering angle sensor got damaged during the alignment? When my wife's 2016 SAS went bad, the VSC and AWD lights came on. There were no standard codes, I ended up buying a high end scanner to read the codes from the other modules and determined the SAS was bad.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I checked out Techstream and it seems awesome, but I wouldn't be able to get it since we only have mac computers at our house.
See if any family or friends has an old windows laptop or netbook hanging around. You can even use one with Windows XP on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
He would have to buy the Windows for that. The Dell or HP laptops from eBay come with Windows OEM, serial stickers and all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts