Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me their personal experiences associated with the VSC/TRAC systems on either snowy or icy road conditions? I have a 2012, 2WD RAV4 and reading the manual doesn't really explain how this system works or what to realistically expect. I would like to know your experiences when you encountered snowy slippery conditions. What happens? Does it work as intended? Does it give you traction and the ability to GO on snowy/icy roads? I am coming from a 4WD RAV4 to this new FWD RAV4 and not sure what to expect on snowy/icy roads.
I most likely will not encounter much snowy conditions while living in South Carolina. Therefore, I don't run snow tires either. However, we do travel North to Penna. during the winter season for the Holidays. You really don't know what type of road conditions you may encounter while traveling North through West Virginia and such. Would appreciate your comments on this system. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Compare to 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander with high performance VSC and 2007 Honda CR-V with mild performance VSA I not really feel any stability system on my 2008 Rav4 V6 Sport except beeping and orange light on dashboard.
On brand new Outlander 2.4 s-awc base trim with all season tires stability control pretty strong, when vehicle start slide I feel really vibration on body what in my opinion it's brakes works independently for each wheel. Very hard to drift on Outlander.
2007 Honda CR-V let me drift on parking lot on low speed. It's also let spin wheels when go straight from stop light at inspection but sometimes slight cut throttle if spinning wheels rotate too much. On higher speed (50-70 km/h) if I go in corner, press more throttle, front wheels spinning (Pirelli Scorpion Winter sucks), power go to rear wheels and vehicle start slide- I see cut throttle and vibration on body what probably mean brake system works independent too.
It's nice balance between safety and fun when you want and no other vehicles around.
VSC on Rav4? I have no idea where that system and how that works.
Acceleration from stop light on icy inspection- every time wheels spinning and vehicle pull to side. Beeping sound, lights on but computer not cut throttle at all.
Put vehicle for drifting very easy thanks for powerful engine and worn rear tires Bridgestone Blizzaks with 6/32" thread left (like new 11/32 Blizzaks on front), but same time pretty easy control vehicle thanks to shorter steering wheel ratio, smaller size steering wheel and electric steering wheel assist (steering wheel feel light). Even at higher speed around 60 km/h when I push throttle and turn steering wheel vehicle start slide but computer not really cut throttle or maybe just a bit what I not even feel.
And I never heard vibration during drifting what mean brake system never help me stabilize vehicle.
2 times when I turn on intersection and push throttle rear end of vehicle really slide, and I heard just beeping sound.
I wouldn't give this powerful vehicle with so weak (mild) stability system to my wife for winter driving. But for me 29 years old it's pretty fun to drive.
Most this tests I did in industrial area, sometimes in residential but with no other vehicles around and I never have emergency situations.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I have a 2012 fwd, lots of snow and ice here, snow tires are obligatory. The traction control pretty much kills the throttle when you try to get moving on ice etc, so a bit tedious, but it eventually goes. You can select "LSD" mode which allows the engine to rev a bit more, the front tires take turns spinning on ice until you get moving but this mode also makes the VSC and ABS less aggressive, so better to turn it off again once you're out of that situation. If I find myself sliding straight on ice when I want to turn, I exaggerate the turn and give a bit gas, the VSC will give me a bulldozer turn by pumping the brakes on the inside front tire. It works but kinda awkward, better than hitting the curb or going in a ditch. I once lost control fishtailing around a corner on a gravel road; going too fast, the VSC kicked in and straightened things out really well, I had kept the front wheels pointing the way I wanted to go. (I used to drift big rwd cars on the ice and snow long before drifting became a sport). Bottom line, it all works, but I actually felt safer in my 04 Camry that had none of these systems, with its lower center of gravity it felt considerably more stable overall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts