Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so i have a 1997 rav4, 4-door awd, 5 speed, with center locking diff. and because of the diff the vsv on the back of the motor is located on the top of the firewall on a bracket. however, when i look up the replacement i get the part 911-604, which has smaller male ends for the lines... attached is the actual part on the rav4, that no one can seem to find a replacement for. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, 5-door, JDM engine installed in 2013
232 Posts
For the archives, the photos above are of one of the two solenoid vacuum switching valves (VSVs) serving the center differential lock (CDL) for the first generation AWD Rav4 with manual transmission. When the VSV pictured above is installed, it is the CDL VSV that is farthest from the battery.

Back around 1997 and for some years afterward, the two VSVs serving the CDL were sold as a single assembly, Toyota OEM p/n 85440-42020, replaced by p/n 85440-42021. Toyota parts sites indicate the assembly is not available anymore.

From my study, I think the following might work as replacements for this VSV:

p/n 90910-12100 (which happens to also be the EGR VSV)
AISIN VST-034
Dorman 911-604
EGR3004

No guarantees.

If the ports do not match exactly those on the old VSV, I would just purchase some high temperature resistant silicone tubing that fits the ports and use small hose clamps as needed. For more on the silicone tubing, see www.rav4world.com/threads/vacuum-line-replacement-with-high-temp-silicone-lines.255961/

More on these two VSVs appears at Elle's 1996-00 Toyota Rav4 Site , in the guide "Center Differential Lock (AWD Manual Transmission)" and the service manual section linked at the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its right next to the battery. The p/n 90910-12100 is that Toyota lists however thats the same as a 911-604 which a shop told me wasn't right. The hose size on the current one is bigger. Toyota ordered in the 90910-12100 tomorrow or Monday I will take mine in and compare.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
jshay2246, your Rav4 should have two valves, side by side, that are near the battery as shown below.

I believe I can see these two VSVs in your latest round of photographs. Do check and consider reporting back whether you found the second VSV, right next to the VSV you photographed at length.

The two VSVs pictured above serve the center differential lock system exclusively.

The first generation Rav4 has three additional VSVs:
  • the EGR VSV
  • the Evap VSV
  • the Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV
These three VSVs do not serve the center differential lock system in any way.

Many people relocate the EGR VSV from the rear of the engine to a more accessible location. Probably the most common re-location of the EGR VSV is to the firewall, high up. Respectfully I think you may have confused the EGR VSV with one of the two VSVs serving the center differential lock.

The EGR VSV part number is 90910-12100. The EGR VSV does look a lot like the VSV that you photographed and that serves the CDL system. My photo above labels your VSV as "VSV #1", with vacuum hose #2 and vacuum hose #3 connecting to it. (Hence on the valve you photographed, the numbers "2" and "3" appear, to help with the connection of the hoses.) Of the two VSVs serving the CDL system, the one you photographed is the one furthest from the battery.

The tests the service manual gives for checking the operation of the EGR VSV and the VSV you photographed happen to be the same. Hence it is possible that p/n 90910-12100 might work as a replacement for the valve you photographed, even though parts guys will say that this is not technically the correct p/n for the VSV that you want to replace.

If you read the guide I wrote, and also maybe the guide titled "Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) Information" also at my site, then this might clear up a lot. Or one can spend a few hours reading the service manual sections, checking wire colors, googling on part numbers to find pictures of the parts, and so on to sort this out.

Toyota parts sites do not label very clearly at all what each of the five VSVs on your Rav4 serves. For example, 90910-12100 is called the "VALVE ASSY, VACUUM SWITCHING." But the service manual calls p/n 90910-12100 the "EGR VSV." Numerous posts here at Rav4world confirm that 90910-12100 is the EGR VSV. Dorman makes an aftermarket EGR VSV replacement, having Dorman p/n 911-604. Your parts guy said Dorman 911-604 was not the right VSV for the VSV you want to replace. I know why he is saying this, but he is also likely not aware that Toyota originally sold the two VSVs serving the center differential lock together as a single assembly, with a single p/n. Toyota does not sell this assembly anymore.

The first generation Rav4 is old. Toyota has discontinued making many of the Rav4.1's parts. Sometimes, one has to improvise a bit. Hence my list of possible VSVs that may work to replace the VSV you want to replace.

·
Registered
232 Posts
where is a replacement?
I believe Ebay and rockauto.com currently have Aisin VST-034 for around $50 or less.

As noted in post #2 above, any of the following might possibly work as replacements:

p/n 90910-12100 (which happens to also be the EGR VSV)
AISIN VST-034
Dorman 911-604
EGR3004

You might have to modify some the brackets involved here to make one of the above work for the VSV you photographed (with the "2" and "3" printed on it).

Personally, I would buy the Aisin part. Aisin is the OEM manufacturer of these VSVs (as indicated by the printing on the photos you took of the VSV). I am not totally against aftermarket parts, but by my reading, aftermarket VSVs do not have a good reputation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts