Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe that the rear window won't open by itself. Kind of defeats the purpose of having an SUV to haul stuff when you have to prop the rear gate open.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I dunno. I have never seen a need for that. We have 2 suvs with swing open doors and never needed the rear windows to open independently. I guess it woutl be useful to haul lumber or something ling but then again you could always carry that on the roof anyway..

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have traded an Explorer for our new RAV4. The Explorer rear window can open independently from the tail gate, which is a nice feature if you just need to throw something light or small into the back, instead of opening the entire lift gate.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup that too. It's not like the rear gate window opening is a new concept for Toyota. The 1990 4-Runner rolls down completely into the gate. I definitely like the convience of it as well as the practicality of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Zeoth said:
go 5 hole said:
We have traded an Explorer for our new RAV4. The Explorer rear window can open independently from the tail gate, which is a nice feature if you just need to throw something light or small into the back, instead of opening the entire lift gate.
Yup that too. It's not like the rear gate window opening is a new concept for Toyota. The 1990 4-Runner rolls down completely into the gate. I definitely like the convience of it as well as the practicality of it.
True enough about the Explorer and the 4Runner, but the 4Runner, for one, has a larger cargo door and has the spare tire strapped under rear of the vehicle. Would you want that for the RAV as well?

A sealed rear window is by design, more weather resistant and is one (or several) less worry for complexity, reliability and additional cost (rubber seals around the glass, struts, locks, opening mechanisms, and other moving parts) and where to attach everything like the spoiler, third brake light, defroster wiring, wiper motor, blade and sprayer so it still works harmoniously. I can definitely see a cost issue there.

I've argued in favor of a opening cargo door window as well, with the idea of a spare being under the cargo floor, a full size obviously taking up more room than is currently available in the existing bonus underfloor stow comparments. It's all possible to a certain extent, I'm sure...

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
flyingn said:
the only way an FJ's windown can go up in to flip down the tire whichj woudl be harder then opening the door anyway....
Nope... I opened a window on the back of an FJ tonight at work. The window has a "lump" in it at the bottom... so it clears the tire. The window has a strut on each side. Turning the key in the rear door lock makes the window open. 8)

Not to get too far off topic and make this an FJ thread... but the FJ's rear cargo door also has a STRUT at the bottom. It helps open the door... plus it has a neat LOCK feature that HOLDS the door open.

We processed quite a few FJ's at work tonight. Prices ranged from 25k to 30k :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can check on the Toyota Matrix, it also has the flip up windows.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I often wish my rear window would open but I have owned a 1993 4 Runner and beleive me it's not all it's cracked up to be. The window mechanism is complicated and prone to failure, the window got horribly etched by the dirt on it as it went up and down and the top lip of the tail gate rotted out in no time because the underside was basically open to the elements once the weather stripping got some wear on it. I was hoping that they would incorporate a 2 peice lift gate like on the CRV but I guess not.

·
Registered
881 Posts
michael said:
You can check on the Toyota Matrix, it also has the flip up windows.
It needs them too, what can you fit in the back with, a breifcase? :) If the Matrix came in a 4wd with a manual transmission I would have one today. But it doesn't and aparently it never will :(

N

·
0 Posts
What would be nice is a power rear window.

I have pop up window on my 03 Vibe and get a lot of wind noise because of it. A power rear would/should be quieter.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tankd0g said:
If the Matrix came in a 4wd with a manual transmission I would have one today. But it doesn't and aparently it never will :(
Oh right on! Finally someone who thought the same thing. I was soooo pissed they didn't have manual for the 4x4 with the GTS engine. What a waste.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
karrock said:
Zeoth said:
True enough about the Explorer and the 4Runner, but the 4Runner, for one, has a larger cargo door and has the spare tire strapped under rear of the vehicle. Would you want that for the RAV as well?
4-Runners have the option to have the spare tire on a swing gate that mounts to the rear. I have it like that because it looks better and offers some cushion from idiots parking.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tankd0g said:
I often wish my rear window would open but I have owned a 1993 4 Runner and beleive me it's not all it's cracked up to be. The window mechanism is complicated and prone to failure, the window got horribly etched by the dirt on it as it went up and down and the top lip of the tail gate rotted out in no time because the underside was basically open to the elements once the weather stripping got some wear on it. I was hoping that they would incorporate a 2 peice lift gate like on the CRV but I guess not.
Yeah I forgot about the etched glass thing but to me it's not really a problem as the windows are tinted and scratches are hard to see. Mine hasn't failed yet but as we all know, the more moving parts the more likely something is going to break. As for the rotting part, never seen it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the etched glass thing but to me it's not really a problem as the windows are tinted and scratches are hard to see. Mine hasn't failed yet but as we all know, the more moving parts the more likely something is going to break. As for the rotting part, never seen it.
In sanfran you probably never will. Here in Canada they don't last long. I put two tailgates on mine in the time I had it and repaired them both numerous times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts