Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
nice one....I like it.............must go off down the high street and try it........ :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Damn, that's @#[email protected]#[email protected] COOL! I my @#[email protected] That's amazing! I heard of a guy who flipped and totaled his car trying that. What kinda suspension is on that rav4?....and do you think it would work with a 4 door? Professional driver? What's the story. Reg, you gotta share more. This ain't fair. You're playing me here. Spill all you got. :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd probably have to ask the guys at Rav4Expedition as to whose Rav that one is cause that's where I just saw it today. I'm guessing he probably has a similar suspension setup to yours. And with the aid of a little wet pavement and alot of nerve, you got power slide heaven. I don't know if I'd try that with a 4 door, but hey, you never know if it can't be done till someone proves you wrong. Just this morning I didn't think anyone would launch a 4.1. For a second there I thought it was Kelly. :wink: :wink:

M

·
0 Posts
Nah, not too dangerous. :) A skid pan like that is an amazing spot for doing all sorts of would-be dangerous manouvers. Of course 4WD is a little unfair, but it only takes a tiny loss of traction to get the car sliding, and once it does, there's nothing to find traction and flip the vehicle. But really, it's loads and loads of fun. Done that myself with a Toyota Hilux (Tundra type thing). The 4 door models will do it just as well as the 2 doors.

I actually recommend it, because it'll teach you some more advanced driving skills, like how to steer the vehicle and slow down at the same time whilst on a slippery road.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Kudos! I slide mine like that in the snow as well. In a parking lot with hard packed snow is the best. I push all of my vehicles like that, when I get a new one, to see how much they can take in an emergency situation before the back end kiks out. Great for getting to know a new vehicle. I'd recommend it to anyone as a way to improve their skills for driving in bad conditions. Every vehicle handles differently under extreme circumstances. Some will surprise you and some will make you s#!t your pants. :oops: Try it if you can. Later. M. :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
First of all... off-topic here... I've noticed that, because the RAV4's 4WD power distribution is 50/50 unbiased (front/rear), my wheels rarely slip or spin, unless I am on a really wet surface and I floor it on first gear, or on a gravel or dirt road. On a dry surface, I notice that I slip my clutch (which makes me cringe) whenever I give it too much gas on acceleration. (NB: I don't have traction control on my RAV4.)

So anyway... the video... wow, that is definitely an incredible scene. Personally, I wouldn't attempt such manoeuvers on a RAV4 without modifications to my suspension. Sure, the RAV4 is definitely not the Suzuki Samurai, Ford Bronco II or Ford Explorer Sport two-door (all of which have a bad rollover reputation) but, like other SUVs, the RAV4 has a higher centre of gravity than regular cars. However, I would definitely try the same thing with the new Lexus IS250 AWD. 8)

The video just proves that Toyotas are more sporty than people like to give Toyotas credit for.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Responses for all of you.

EHinthe604: Our rav4's are 50/50 power distribution? Does that mean the weight is 50/50 like mazda rx-8? Yeah, I dun got traction control on my rav4 either. Ever since attending one of those auto events where automakers invite people to drive their cars aggressively, I've been more confident with cars.

Marcutio:Sliding in the snow? Cool! I'm just scared that I won't know when the traction will kick in. I know doing that kinda stuff takes some level of skill or experience.

Modderrhu: I think I wanna try it with a sedan or sports car first before handling a rav4 like that. If you watch the video again, the rav4 ends up pretty close to the curbed island a times. If the rav4 hit that, i'm sure it could do some serious damage. I'm just afraid that thing'll flip!

Alien18: Snow's the bomb!

Kelly Smith: are you serious?

Slayer: I read through the whole 5 or 6 pages of the thread from the website that the video came from and people have been saying that it's a stock setup! Gives me a little more confidence, but I'm not about to go try that.

magik: i hope your kidding.

I don't want to double post, so check out a video I linked to from here: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=303&start=75

M

·
0 Posts
@zoomie: You're bloody right about that, if you hit a curb sliding sideways at that speed, you probably would flip. But that's the whole point, knowing how to steer a vehicle on a wet surface. Watch the video again, and note that just before he turns his wheels, the RAV dips slightly in the front - he's just pumped his brakes to throw the weight of the vehicle onto the front wheels. That's why the RAV seems to buck around so much, the driver is shifting the vehicle's weight to where he wants it. At least, that's how it looks.

@EHinthe604: It's my understanding that traction control is a US 2WD specific thing, no 4WD's have it. Now, that pan is very, very slippery. It's traction (or an obstruction) that makes a vehicle flip, if there is nothing for the tyres to grip on, the vehicle will just keep on sliding without slipping. I dare say that skidding on that surface is as safe in the RAV (with stock suspension) as it would be in a Porsche 959.

M

·
0 Posts
Well, I did it with a double-cab Hilux 4x4, with the front hubs unlocked so it was rear driven only. The Hilux is a much heavier vehicle, with a much higher centre of gravity too. Sure it was scary to start with! And yes, a 4-door RAV could do it too, it would just have different handling characteristics to the 2-door. It's arse would likely swing out more, and it might be slightly more difficult to bring back under control, but it'd do it. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts