Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
On this model the emblem is more than just an emblem. it incorporates the radar module for collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control. That is one reason that the emblem is so large. It would be nice if it was a snap-in but I am not holding my breath.

Looks to me like the easiest way into the that area is to go from the top down. Looks like removing the assembly with the emblem will provide access to allow removal of a cover plate between the radiator and grille. Once this is gone you should be able to get your hands down in there.

Take a look at this thread in the General section. It's long but the first post has photos about how to replace the horns in a 2016 Rav4. I replaced the horns in my 2016 Limited but did not need to use the wood to open the area. I simply removed the top cover above the grill and released the two connectors on the left and right sides of the bumper (near the wheel well) and pulled the bumper forward to gain access. I had plenty of room to get to the horns. I think doing this will allow you room to reach the rear of the emblem to remove.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/232633-changing-out-2016-rav4-horns.html

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Take a look at this thread in the General section. It's long but the first post has photos about how to replace the horns in a 2016 Rav4. I replaced the horns in my 2016 Limited but did not need to use the wood to open the area. I simply removed the top cover above the grill and released the two connectors on the left and right sides of the bumper (near the wheel well) and pulled the bumper forward to gain access. I had plenty of room to get to the horns. I think doing this will allow you room to reach the rear of the emblem to remove.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/232633-changing-out-2016-rav4-horns.html
Thanks, The horn upgrade is another project that I was planning to do. Gotta get the horns first though. Don't want to tear everything apart twice!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here are some photos of the damaged camera and the location on the front grill:

It sure would be nice to just swap out the damaged lens without having to tear everything apart. Look at those 4 little holes in the trim ring around the lens. Does this just unscrew?

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Definitely comprehensive damage. No different than a cracked windshield. Talk to a different insurance claims person.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts

It sure would be nice to just swap out the damaged lens without having to tear everything apart. Look at those 4 little holes in the trim ring around the lens. Does this just unscrew?
Steve, that is one which might have a tiny screw on the left and right side of the square housing. If you find it so, then remove the screws, lift the square frame off, unscrew the lens.

Otherwise, try placing a blunt point at an angle at one of the holes on the front and tap it to turn left (counter-clockwise). A spanner would be better but they cost a couple bucks.

Please stay in touch with us. It might save our members thousands of dollars. That would be super!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts

I looked at mine and my 4 holes line up (like N, S, E, W on a compass) and yours are off a bit.... so they might be used to screw on the lens.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I looked at mine and my 4 holes line up (like N, S, E, W on a compass) and yours are off a bit.... so they might be used to screw on the lens.
Thanks for the data point. I would bet that it probably unscrews. Somewhere I have a set of small snap ring pliers which might make a good spanner... I am also wondering if the lens might be rotated for focus and then fixed in place with a set-screw like PICO suggests. Wish I didn't have to tear half of the front end off just to get the damn camera out!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sometimes you just get lucky... ! Started looking for a used camera online from various auto recyclers. I found one that was mis-marked as a backup camera. Now used backup cameras are a dime a dozen usually going for $25-35. Needless to say this was too good of a deal to pass up! I almost didn't believe it until it showed up on my front porch last evening.

This morning I figured that I would take some photos and post then so that PICO and anyone else can try to figure out where this came from and how to remove and change the lens. Unfortunately, It may be a while before I can tear the busted one out of the car to attempt disassembly. Needless to say I won't be messing with the new one until I have tried everything on the old one first.

In the photos note the small gap between the black spanner ring with the 4 holes in it. It does look like this might unscrew but even my small snap-ring pliers are too big for those tiny holes. Also note t hat where the square part of the lens assembly meets the main housing is sealed with a rubber o-ring which is visible in the gap between the two pieces.

Enjoy the photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
The protective material would also need to be transparent so as not to obstruct the camera view, and able adhere to the small surface in all type of weather.
Lamin-x and Xpel come to mind. Had them installed on a previous car with glass fog light lenses (also expensive to replace).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Finally checked my '17. Apparently, they moved that camera to the top middle of the windshield. Now, I keep imaging a tiny stone hitting in the EXACT place where the camera looks thru the windshield!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The windshield camera is not as same as the front bumper camera on the ATP. Birds eye camera?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lamin-x and Xpel come to mind. Had them installed on a previous car with glass fog light lenses (also expensive to replace).
I have been looking at the Clear Bra materials. So far I know of:

Xpel
Llumar Platnium / (Suntek Ultra)
3m Scotchgard PPF Pro

These all seem to be 8 mil urethane films with maybe a proprietary topcoat.

I just talked to Brian at Luminx and their 8 mil paint film is llumar/suntek urethane. However, they have 12, 20, 40 mil Vinyl film. Brian is sending me a sample kit to evaluate these different materials.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Finally checked my '17. Apparently, they moved that camera to the top middle of the windshield. Now, I keep imaging a tiny stone hitting in the EXACT place where the camera looks thru the windshield!!!!
NO! As Toy4WD indicated the ATP package has 2 front cameras. One is in the windshield which handles lane departure warning among other duties. The other one in the front grille is used mostly for view around the vehicle (Birds-eye view) and parking assist.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The heartburn increases!....

Went to the dealer today for the regularly scheduled maintenance. After they do the maintenance they typically run the car through their car wash.

So I took the car and went on my next errand. almost immediately I noticed that the camera display on the dash was blank while waiting at stoplights. Normally it should have the surround display active.

Thinking that this was just a setting that had gotten screwed up when they worked on the car I went back to the dealership and nobody could figure out what was wrong. First we had no side cameras but the rear backup still worked. Then the backup stopped working. Eventually after about half a dozen service advisers played with the settings we finally got the side, rear, and the blurry front camera working.

So I head to my next errand and the same thing happens! Black display at stoplights. No backup or side cameras either.

So here is what I think is happening. The camera lens is cracked and that is letting in moisture. This apparently causes a black image on the display where information from that camera is supposed to be. I would sort of expect this due to the damage. When the moisture dries out I get a blurry output from the front camera. The image is acceptable as long as direct sun is not hitting the lens.

Today this apparently went to a new level. With the front camera non-functional the system decided to turn OFF the remaining 3 good cameras! So when one camera has an issue don't just disable the one but TURN OFF ALL 3! What was Toyota thinking!

I can probably live without the front one but the other 3 are REALLY important for parking and maneuvering in tight spaces since the visibility out of the vehicle is so poor. What a mess!

·
Registered
764 Posts
NO! As Toy4WD indicated the ATP package has 2 front cameras. One is in the windshield which handles lane departure warning among other duties. The other one in the front grille is used mostly for view around the vehicle (Birds-eye view) and parking assist.
YES!!! My 2017 is an XLE and does NOT have the ATP package. Therefore, only ONE camera, the one located high up in the middle of the windshield. Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Windshield camera's for everyone! As part of the TSS at least, which is standard on most, if not all 2017+ models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For my longer highway trips I cut a probiotic pill bottle in half, drilled two holes through it, put a cotton ball inside the pill bottle to add impact resistance, then I tie it to the grill with pipe cleaners overtop of the camera. It probably takes less than 1 minute to reinstall it once it is made. I obviously can't use the camera when this is installed, but I am driving for 3.5 hours each way on the highway anyways so the camera is useless then. The bonus it that the side cameras and review cameras still function so I still have most of the birds eye view, just not the front.

The reason I started doing this is I had a parking sensor that was damaged by a rock when I owned my NX. I also use painters tape with bubble wrap under the tape on the parking sensors.

I have really only done this in the winter though as they use a lot of gravel here in the winter on the highways, but I might do this in the summer now as well after reading your post.

I have also thought of buying some polycarbonate tubing and gluing a polycarbonate front onto it using the same process as above so that this would take the impact instead of the camera.

https://www.amazon.ca/Polycarbonate...8&qid=1526582537&sr=8-8&keywords=clear+tubing

·
Registered
202 Posts
Heres a comparison between our 2017 BMW X3 with 12K miles and the RAV4 with 9300 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I do not have the 4 camera version but I'm going to add a front camera anyways.

I searched the junkyard databse here In Sweden and they are around $200 with low mileage and in hood condition. Not cheap but much less than $700-$800..

21 - 40 of 51 Posts