Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 RAV4 awd and for the past year the vsc, brake and awd warning lights come on for a few minutes while driving. I initially thought it was maybe a loose gas cap, but that's not case. It usually occurs when I have to transition to a stupid slow speed (ex. trying to merge onto a bridge or when 2 lanes merge into one). The problem is, since it only lasts between 1-5 minutes, whenever I'm at the dealer, of course, the lights aren't on. The code reader then doesn't see anything wrong. They even took it out for a test drive and it didn't occur. I'm worried that they won't find an issue until after the warranty expires and I get stuck with a huge bill. Could it be a bad speed sensor? (not that I know anything about cars, but it seems speed related). Is there something the dealership can easily identify without relying on the code reader?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
VSC and AWD lights will normally be commanded with a brake issue.
Gas cap will trigger a CEL/MIL and VSC, don't think it will trigger AWD.
Do you also have an ABS light, or just brake?

Check your fluid.. if low, it indicates that your pads are worn and need replacement.
The low fluid will trigger the Brake light.

Don't just top it up unless it's really down there, that will make a mess when the pistons are compressed to install the new pads.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
for the past year the vsc, brake and awd warning lights come on for a few minutes while driving.
The chart shows that the VSC and 4WD will light up for any cause. They seem to be there just to get your attention.

The distinguishing factor is whether you have the "brake" light on or the "CEL" (check engine light) light on.

The brake light indicates a problem with the brakes, and a "CEL" indicates a problem with the engine control systems. You have a problem with the braking system.

It is odd that you don't also have the "ABS" light on, because the chart shows that it always lights up at the same time as the "brake" light.

Anyway, all the brake system problems listed in the chart have turned out to be wheel speed sensors (other than a case of badly wired trailer harness).

A normal code reader will only read codes from the engine management computer (which you don't have any problem with) but it will not read the codes from the braking system. But if you have a look at this thread you can read those codes yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts