Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Rav got dive bombed by some birds-splattering my clean hood. Taking a clean wet washing mitt I removed the droppings but in one case I etched (horizontal scratches) the clear coat while wiping away. One has to be cautious for I should have dabbed and competely dissolved the droppings in the process or used a detergent of some kind.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Yes a lot of bird dropping have sand or grid in them. I actually scratch my windshield once trying to clean bird dropping off without soaking it first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Burned right through my clearcote on my Pathfinder. You need to disolve and remove it right away before the acid starts eating away at the finish.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh yeah - that is true. They don't exactly spit out the seeds from the berries and such that they eat like we do when eating cherries. I've done that to my old car too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always have a small spay bottle in the car and some paper towels so it can be taken off as soon as I see them. I've learned my lesson. I too had the clearcote damaged on my Civic's bumper because I kept forgetting to wipe it off. :doh:

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Some bird droppings will etch the paint if left on for very long, had it happen with Zaino on a previous vehicle, so no, it won't always protect it, clean it as soon as you notice the mess. :cry:

Tim

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts