Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would warped brake rotors cause a vibration when driving? How can you check to see if your rotors are warped? I have a 2008 rav 4.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
warped rotors should only cause an issue when braking...never noticed warped rotors to cause shaking at any other time...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
rav4system is correct. To diagnose a warped rotor you can have an automotive brake or machine shop measure the run out on them. If warped, they'll need to be replaced. Re-machining them in my experience has only been a temporary solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it cause vibration when driving if the pads are to close to the disk and when it goes around it touches in the spots that are warped?
I get the same vibration feels but less when driving and when i press the brakes. When i lightly press the brakes it feels like they grab then don't. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Vibrations are usually due to balancing or alignment (assuming no suspensions parts are damaged)
On my other car, I switched to winter tires on different rims and the vibration that I had starting 65 mph is now gone. It was obviously the tires that need balancing in my case.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if you're driving down the road and you hit the brakes hard or lightly and you get vibration (mostly in the steering wheel) then your rotors are toast...if the rotor touches the brake pad as it turns it could cause a vibration, but the amount the rotor would have to be warped would make the rav shake violently when the brakes were applied...you need to have a trusted mechanic check it out...you could have something very wrong with it...also check your lug nuts...loose lug nuts will cause vibration while driving down the road...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that i dont have loose lug nuts. I have done an alignment just recently and got my tires balanced.
I do see alot of brake dust in the front driver side brake. And i believe this is the rotor that it mostly off. I feel the vibtration in the steering wheel and in the driver seat and under my feet. It does sake pretty bad at times. I have taken it to toyota and they couldn't dignose it. I do have an appt to get my brakes serviced. But its not until monday.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I do see alot of brake dust in the front driver side brake. And i believe this is the rotor that it mostly off.
Try driving a little, and compare the temperature of the front right and left disks. Listen/watch for the sizzle from a wet Q-tip rather than burning your fingers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When toyota did that test they said they could touch my brakes with there finger. I know that it does heat up once in awhile. But it's very random. Could my brake pads be sticking? Would my car be safe to drive if my brake pads stick randomly or if i do have warped rotors?

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
When toyota did that test they said they could touch my brakes with there finger. I know that it does heat up once in awhile. But it's very random. Could my brake pads be sticking? Would my car be safe to drive if my brake pads stick randomly or if i do have warped rotors?

I don't know whether any service tech who tested the temperature of a braking system with their finger just after a vehicle had been driven would be competent! Disk brakes don't actually "stick" since the brake pads are free floating and would be moved away from the rotors by any variations in rotor trueness. If a rotor is warped one could probably safely drive the vehicle unless the warp is severe, but in any event driving with a warped rotor will be uncomfortable if it's in front would result in more rapid steering system wear, and brake pad wear would be accelerated as would be brake caliper piston wear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does it run straight when you let go of the steering wheel while driving. Plus when you go on the brakes, it would pull to one side or the other if a brake was hanging up. You should be able to see a difference if the left or right had a caliper was sticking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you could also check the wear on the pads themselves. If they are not a straight up and down even wear, then most likely you have brake problems. Warped rotors are usually an easy and relatively cheap fix. You can get rotors and pads fairly cheap online and have any shop, or yourself, replace them if you have simple tools.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Would it cause vibration when driving if the pads are to close to the disk and when it goes around it touches in the spots that are warped?
I get the same vibration feels but less when driving and when i press the brakes. When i lightly press the brakes it feels like they grab then don't. If that makes sense.
What will usually happen if the rotors are badly warped is that the warp will tend to push the pads farther apart when you are off the brakes, as if the rotor was actually thicker than it is. This can be pretty scary in an extreme case because the next time you apply the brakes, extra pedal travel will be needed to bring the pads back into solid contact with the rotors. I had a Toyota Sienna where it got so bad it took almost a full stroke before the brakes felt like they engaged. It would take a quick second press to bring the pedal back up to normal height. Of course then there would be the violent vibration.

The appearance of the vibration during cornering is of some concern. You may want to inspect your wheel bearings closely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its a humming noise. Like winter tires on the road but louder with some vibration. And i dont have my winter tires on yet.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
any tire can make a humming noise if it is wore out...to check for a bad wheel bearing get on the highway and gently turn the wheel left and right like you were going around a curve...when you do this it changes the weight placed on the bearings and if a wheel bearing is going it will change the noise...either the pitch or the noise will go away...if you can wiggle the wheel and weave back and forth on the highway and the noise does not change then most likely you do not have a bad wheel bearing...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Its a humming noise. Like winter tires on the road but louder with some vibration. And i dont have my winter tires on yet.

The times I've had bad wheel bearings in other cars, I'd describe the noise more as a rumble that varies with vehicle speed and cornering load.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i think the humming might have been from how much water was on the hwy do yo lots of rain. Since i did not hear it when the toad was dry. But ill see if toyota can just check them since i do have 160,000 kms now and they will be servicing my brakes so they will be right there anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts