Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i orginally had this posting in the detailing forums.. but just thought I'd share with my ravers :)

it was orginally titled
97RAV4 = Used .99 Autozone Clearance Items.
because most of the stuff.. I got for $.99 @ an autozone clearance :)

97 Rav4
Car was last polished 2 months ago..
it sits outside everyday :( .. never garaged.
and so far its still looking pretty good. swirls are at minimum..

nothing beats a clean rav4.. i cringe when i see neglected cars :(

this is part of my weekly wash
and I top it off with a 2nd layer of #26

Meg #26 Paste on Body (much easier to use than the gold class liquid)
Prestone High Protection Wax on Roof
Turtle Wax 2001 Super Protectant - on Tires/Ext Plastic

Well the sad part is this is my mother's car and she havn't been home for over 7 months.. so
the last time she saw the car was when it was heavily oxidinated / swirled / and extremely dirty.
can't wait until she return and see the million dollar expression :eek:

looks great and didn't dent the wallet too badly :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW i don't know if it is still on clearance.. but you can check your local autozones.. all for .99 ea.

AZ# - Item# - Item Desc
#419770 9243 Turtle Wax 2001 Super Protectant 32FL OZ
#419852 AS391 Prestone Syn Wax
#555334 M2611 Meguairs Mirror Glaze #26 (Paste)
*only the paste is .99 the liquid is still $9.99

Pictures Incase you dont' know how it looksl ike

give them the item # because most of them do not know what they are.

this has been going on since 04/20.. and all autozones around me have been emptied..

T

·
0 Posts
What an awesome job you have done, shame you did'nt have a before photo? However well done! Dont you just love it when its all glossy and smooth like silk!!
I also use Meguiars products as well:D

A

·
0 Posts
Yeah I have to say that is impressive!

What about some bumper (Cladding?) black to finish it off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well there is not much before pic.. because this was just a daily maintaince.. i just wanted to let you guys know aobut the clearance in AutoZone :)

the front bumper is beyond repair & nothing you can put on it will make it look new again -- it is not OEM.. it is an aftermarket because the front was repaired .. so figures the crappy craftmanship.

here are some before pictures about three months back when I did a full paint defect removal

the hood had heavy oxidination & paint overspray from the previous repair..

thsi is after several run with the PC with 3m RC & MG

and here some before/after of swirls removed..

the car right now is still in pretty swirl free.. some light swirls from just daily wash.. but still very good... and it is better than almost all of the cars i see on the road anyways.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My poor RAV needs a thorough cleaning, clay bar work, and waxing, etc. :oops: :(

happe626, have you considered hiring yourself out as a RAV detailer? :idea: :wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey mensajero, I have never waxed my car and it only has that clear coat from the dealership. If i decide to use the product you use, do i have to do any kind of prework before using the nufinish polisher? :?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
First dress for the occasion. Don't use jeans, nor big belt buckle. It will scratch your RAV4 body. [Jeans have metal buttons]

Once that is taken care of, you just have to wash your RAV4. Once it's washed and dried. Go for the roof first. If you do the fenders first, then the roof, you will be too tired. [Well, at least for me, I'm 47]

Then go by parts, one fender, then the door, then the panel. Take off the rear spare tire, do that part. The bottle says in the shade or in the sun. I guess the shade is a lit better. Use a thin layer, it comes out easier. After the body is done, with a tooth brush, take out the excess polish, or just wet your ride and dry again.

Trust me man, the shine will surprise you. It will shine for a year or even more. Even if it’s dirty, look at it from the side, it will shine.

Little tip: For the windows, use some vinegar and water. Spray it on, and then dry with some newspaper. About 35% vinegar and 65% water.
:wink:

F

·
0 Posts
I'd appreciate some help from experienced owners: no matter what we do to clean and preserve the cladding on our '99, streaks always appear when the surface dries. We've used Mother's Back To Black most recently with the same results. Is there another product that will work? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Tanya said:
Is that stuff pretty good Mensa???
Years ago I used NuFinish a lot because Consumer Reports rated it #1. It is fairly easy to use. Wipe on once, dry, wipe off. You're done. No need for heavy buffing. It works very well at removing light oxidation. It doesn't leave a glassy smooth finish that a very good wax will though. It protects very well too. I became so efficient at using it that I could do an entire car in less than half an hour. It was great.

One caveat: Be careful not to get it on anything except the paint. It will "whiten" black rubber and plastics; even some flat black painted surfaces like around windows. That was the only downside. With a wax, you can spray liberally and not worry about it flying all over the place. Not so with NuFinish. You need to be careful when applying it around the edges of whatever area you are working on. It will discolor other surfaces. Definitely wear old clothes like Mensa said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts