Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen Ebay's stock lately. It's falling like Niagara falls. This is what happens when people are constantly being cheated out of their money. Many buyers are taking sellers to court for blemish merchandise like engines, camaras, cars, and what have you. Check these links out:

http://mars.superlink.net/~jason/ebay/
http://www.scambusters.org/ebay-scams.html
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y02/m10/i12/s01
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1402431,00.asp
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,62226-0.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11900480/site/newsweek/

And the list goes on and on. Thank GOD they have a very good friends at PayPal that can lockup your account when ever they please. So Ravers, beware. Once they have you by the "cojones" [That’s the family jewels in Spanish] they will crush them, HARD.:doh: So it's best to pay a little more, then to have that awful sensation that you’re getting "crushed" and you can’t do anything about it. :doh::doh::doh:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.google.com/finance?q=EBAY&sa=X&oi=stock&ct=image

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the main problem is Paypal and their buyer protection program.
Paypal rullings regarding sellers are always one sided and buyer gets stuff free. I have read horror stories by sellers, who lost money because buyers contacted paypal and got the money back along with the item.
I guess convinience of paypal is only good when you are a buyer.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mensagero, I guess you really hate ebay! :lol:

I still take my chances with them, because there are alot of cool stuff there at great prices. Only had two bad experiences. One seller sold me some car speakers that did not work at all. I had to pay for the shipping back to them to get a refund. :evil: Another seller sold me some speakers that were used but described them as new. :roll:

The best thing you can do is to really depend upon the user feedback system. I try to only bid on those sellers with feedback of 97% or greater.

But I agree, ebay is a hit or miss way to buy things. :ponder:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a Cd from a seller in Brazil [a CD from Deodato]. After I send the money, EBay said it wasn't a legitimate seller, I was piss off. It was charged to my account, I never saw the merchandise. I told EBay, the same thing you did, EBay did. nothing. Once is enough for me. That is why when I see their stock go down, that means a lot more dodo is happening. Pay Pal is the wipe behind the saint. So #$%$ them all. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
3 years ago I preached Ebay.
However, now I don’t recommend it that often to friends because it is risky.

I too have been ripped off a few times but I have learned and my successful transactions out weigh the loss.

I still think the concept of Ebay is amazing. Many items get re-used instead of disposed of. It’s just too bad that we live in a society that seems to have more and more people stealing from others.:shock: Things like Identity theft, bank card, credit card & Paypal fraud.

Hope the guy from the film "Dawn of the Dead" said does'nt come true. :?

"When there is no more space in hell the dead shall walk the earth" :eek: :shock:

:p

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not that I'm happy because of the misfortune of EBay. It's just they have to learn how to keep the little guys like us protected. They can care less if a small deal goes south. They are just keeping an eye on the big bucks. OK, you keep watching the big bucks. While the little bucks will eat at your liver. We might loss some wars. But eventually, the little guys will win the war. At 2:00PM, down -11 points more. If you want to stay in business, you have to watch out for everyone and everything. If you can't. If the job might be a little over whelming. Get out, if not, the little guy will win.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Mensajero I totally agree with you about the integraty of Ebay/Paypal.
In one of my transactions had hundreds of dollars put into my Paypal account buy a buyer. Two days later I get a letter from Paypal stating that the funds were illegitimate.
I lost a camera because of it :evil:
Tell me what kind of financial institution can put money in your account, and then turn around and say that it is illegal and you are stuck with the bill.
All the while those ##$%! suckers make huge amounts of money.

Walt

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
542 Posts
yet another of the many reasons i don't have any credit cards, paypal accounts or any other such nonsense!!

long live cash in the pocket.....

S

·
0 Posts
That is rather impressive peter. The problem is, without credit ratings, it gets hard to do alot of things in the States. At least trying to rent an aparment, get a cell phone, etc.

·
Registered
542 Posts
mabuhay pilipinas (long live the philippines)... a place where cash still rules & credit cards are only flashed by the mayabang (boastfull & snobby) folks in the supermarket!!

hehehe. besides, credit cards are useless in 99% of places outside manila! you gotta come here one time to see & believe. this is a wonderfull country to spend time in!!!!!

ebay maybe fine... but, in the end, most people are there just to get something on the cheap!! for me, if i can't find it in the store chances are i don't need it anyway!! or of you must buy something on the internet, go to their website & pay by money order or with funds in escrow.. i do, after all, have a bank account or two.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, I may take you up on that visiting the phillipines. You may have to show me around a bit though. Mind if I crash at your place? I promise I won't eat ALL the food in the fridge.

As for buying on e-bay, I am too parinoid. About the only paypal transaction I have ever had was buying the bodykit from DJSueno. (Great guy to do business with btw). Alot of the stuff I buy, I want to make sure is fully under warranty, so off to a trusted store I go. Also, a good RMA process such as Newegg is always nice.

BTW, if you need used equipment at a good price for photography/video, I reccomend www.bhphotovideo.com or www.adorama.com. Deal with both on a regular basis. Their used equipment comes with 30 day money back guarantees. And they check it all out before sending it to you. Both used departments have given me top notch services.

·
Registered
542 Posts
hahahaha, i don't mind! about the "emptying the fridge" thing, you'll have competition from the better half if you get here before she gives birth!

i have to make-do with my one-and-only el-cheeeeeepo digital camera (for the time being at least) coz seems like all my disposable cash goes to the bank for a, the baby's delivery, and b, a house!!!!! thanx for the links though.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
SZRimaging said:
AAbout the only paypal transaction I have ever had was buying the bodykit from DJSueno. (Great guy to do business with btw).
Thanks for the kind words... likewise, it was a pleasure doing business...

I have been using Ebay and PayPal for many years and have been very fortunate with my transactions... what's good about Ebay is it's basically an online yard sale for anything and everything... main thing is to really check the feedbacks of people... Also PayPal check that they are verified and for extra piece of mind the "confirmed address" is an extra thing to be aware of.... and PayPal also has transactions numbers (I don't recall if it's only for verified transactions or what, but there is some sort of counter to indicate transactions...)

Too many are blaming Ebay and PayPal, when it's actually those certain few or many depending, that ruin it for the rest of us... I believe Ebay can be monitored better for certain things, but they just need to hire more people or really start penalizing people or suspend/cancel people's account when they reach a significant amount of negative feedback...

Keep in mind Ebay also has location searches, so you can always search for stuff in your area and try to buy local only... although most of the good stuff is located elsewhere.. :p when it comes down to it, it's your choice where you want to buy and how you want to pay... i.e. PayPal, Money Order, etc....

Just my .02 cents... 8)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Likewise here.....just bought a couple of items here and there recently and the sellers are pretty much excellent in dealing with their business......

It is just a matter of luck I guess if you bought it from a sleezy seller or could have sold your item to a wack-out buyer.......

I am sure there are some ways to protect yourself whether you are a seller or a buyer.....

What I do is keep a detailed record of all the transactions from the original packaging (pics, of course), tracking numbers, etc. including emails......so you can use it against those sneeky b$%^#!rds.....there is a dispute commitee where you can voice out your grievances and submit evidence/s.....

my .02 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts