Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I went to retrieve a bottle of windshield wiper fluid from the back of my other vehicle, I heard the slam of the RAV's hood. Oh no, don't tell me. The wind lifted the hood off the prop, smashing the prop down into the plastic cowling over the radiator. Now I have a nice round hole with a crack extending about 8 inches from each side of the hole. I know that I was careful when I let the hood down onto the prop. The prop was inserted all the way into the correct hole in the hood. I know this because that was when I noticed that the end of the prop has a lame excuse for a hook. The wind was gusting that day but I doubt it was more than 15-20mph. Lesson learned: Don't face the wind with the hood propped open and certainly not if you are going to risk your neck (literally). Of course the dealer calls this an ACCIDENT, like a tree blowing onto your car. HA!!! I call it a reason for a recall before someone gets seriously hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: Anyone else have this experience on the 2006?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You do realize that if the wind is strong enough, it will slam the hood down on practically all vehicles out there. It has done it on my BMW 525i hood that had struts on both sides. Granted that hood weighed a ton. :lol:

Anyways, I've experienced the wind slamming the hood, doors, rear hatch window, rear door hatch. If the strength of your arms are able to lift and close the hood; the wind is able to do it just as well. :wink:

Just be careful when standing near an open hood, door, trunk, etc. on windy days. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caution is my point!

I am 44 yrs. old and have had many vehicles in my life. The wind was not exceptionally strong that day. This is the point I'm trying to make. It may surprise you to find out how easily it can happen. I still don't understand why car manufacturers don't all use some kind of spring loaded mechanism to keep the hood open. My GMC Sierra has a coil spring hinge on each side of the hood. It doesn't take much of a design variation to avoid patent infringement.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I was surprised at how HEAVY the hood is on the 2006 models. My guestimate is that it weighs at least TWICE as much as the hood on my 1996 model :shock: I'm really surprised (considering how much it weighs) that the wind blew it off the prop :? Is it possible the prop was NOT seated in the correct hole :?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
FYI- I designed those "two dollar pneumatic thingies years ago for the automotive aftermarket. They are close to about $8 each to make .. 15 years ago... x 2 + bracketry + engineering = about $30 car for those two dollar thingies today..

inlets said:
Toyota can't put one of those two dollar pneumatic thingies to hold the hood up. Still using Model T technology on some components. Just to save a buck.

·
Registered
652 Posts
flyingn said:
FYI- I designed those "two dollar pneumatic thingies years ago for the automotive aftermarket.............

Well then, I guess it's your fault! Couldn't you have designed them cheaper? :D Get back to work and get redesigning so some poor schmuck don't get beaned in the head....... :lol:

·
Registered
986 Posts
The hood prop is the same design on my Rav4. I also agree that it can cause problems, although my hood has never been knocked off the prop by the wind. However, I have had the hood fall on my head a couple of times (not hard enough to cause any damage) when I bumped it while working in the engine bay. Ever since then I usually hook a bungee cord onto the hood to keep it from falling off the prop, if I am working on a windy day or think I might knock it off the prop.

The problem is that there should be some sort of hook on the end of the prop so the wind can't pull the hood upwards and off the prop. On my mother's Subaru outback, the hood prop is bent like a hook on the end so it hooks into a hole on the hood frame, keeping the wind from blowing the hood off the prop.

I don't care much for gas struts on the hood, although they are pretty much a necessity for rear tailgates. I've worked on cars that have them on the hood, and it's a pain when you are working in a small garage because the hood wants to raise itself up and hit the ceiling of the garage. I'm also not a big fan of springs on the hood hinges, because they rust after a few years and can seize up. My father's GMC trucks have always come with the coil spring on the hinges, and after a few years they seize up which makes it very hard to get the hood open.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Yes, I immediately noticed the weight of the new hood as well... Was also pleased that Toyota finally put dampening/insulation material on the underside of the hood -- covers about 80% of the surface area too!

First thing I thought of with that whimpy prop rod was removing it and adding gas lifts... I'll have to take a look at the underhood dimensions to see if it's possible. I know it's been done on many other cars -- Golf GTI, Miata, Jeep.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jeff said:
The hood prop is the same design on my RAV4...The problem is that there should be some sort of hook on the end of the prop so the wind can't pull the hood upwards and off the prop. On my mother's Subaru outback, the hood prop is bent like a hook on the end so it hooks into a hole on the hood frame, keeping the wind from blowing the hood off the prop
Hmmm...after reading this thread yesterday, I checked out the hood prop on my fiancee's 2006 RAV4 Limited. Hers DOES have a hook at the end. I decided to test it. I pushed up on the hood, shook it, pushed again, and was unable to lift the hood off the prop. The only way I could lift it off was to first lift it a bit, then pull the prop towards me to disengage the hook, then continue lifting the hood until it clears the end of the prop. It seems unlikely that a gust of wind could lift the hood off the rod.

I feel confident that the hood prop is secure!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I saw same the same thing. The rod does have a fairsafe lock to keep the hood from falling.

daveman said:
Jeff said:
The hood prop is the same design on my RAV4...The problem is that there should be some sort of hook on the end of the prop so the wind can't pull the hood upwards and off the prop. On my mother's Subaru outback, the hood prop is bent like a hook on the end so it hooks into a hole on the hood frame, keeping the wind from blowing the hood off the prop
Hmmm...after reading this thread yesterday, I checked out the hood prop on my fiancee's 2006 RAV4 Limited. Hers DOES have a hook at the end. I decided to test it. I pushed up on the hood, shook it, pushed again, and was unable to lift the hood off the prop. The only way I could lift it off was to first lift it a bit, then pull the prop towards me to disengage the hook, then continue lifting the hood until it clears the end of the prop. It seems unlikely that a gust of wind could lift the hood off the rod.

I feel confident that the hood prop is secure!

·
Registered
173 Posts
karrock said:
Yes, I immediately noticed the weight of the new hood as well... Was also pleased that Toyota finally put dampening/insulation material on the underside of the hood -- covers about 80% of the surface area too!

First thing I thought of with that whimpy prop rod was removing it and adding gas lifts... I'll have to take a look at the underhood dimensions to see if it's possible. I know it's been done on many other cars -- Golf GTI, Miata, Jeep.
Did you find anything on the strut set-up?

The problem I have with the hood stick is that I always have re-adjust several times to get it seated in its cradle when I want to close up. Its like the base will bend and break if I dont get it right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts