Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen where Toyota thought was a good idea to fit the rear air vent, bottom rear corners. See photo in thread linked below, with thanks to OP.

So those of you who've done any wading, what have you done with these? Sealed them, or did you only find out when it was too late and your feet were wet?

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/244737-finally-painted-my-wifes-rav4-1-a.html

There is flooding sometimes and I thought mine would be OK, having moved the air intake away from the grille.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have been through water where my wheels were completely submerged. Didn't see any issues with water coming in. May be I was not in there for too long.
I would have wanted the water to come in. Didn't want to float my rear. I guess I had enough weight on my vehicle that it was not going to float anyway. LOL !

·
Super Moderator
10,146 Posts
An old, general rule of thumb is that the differential(s) oil must be changed after each submergence.
And the wheel bearings replaced.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been through water where my wheels were completely submerged. Didn't see any issues with water coming in. May be I was not in there for too long.
I would have wanted the water to come in. Didn't want to float my rear. I guess I had enough weight on my vehicle that it was not going to float anyway. LOL !
It's possible, that Toyota fitted trunking to the inside of the vent, going up as high as possible. That would stop the water going in and it would drain when you leave the water.

As for changing gear oils, it's possible that going in hot could make them suck in water. Proper off-roaders have vents to stop that. My old Suzuki Tracker/Sidekick/Vitara/Escudo did.

Wheel bearings, never had any problems, despite many water crossings in my Suzukis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts