Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I have been doing some off road trips on my rav and something I noticed is most trails around here will need sooner or later water crossing, rivers or just deep fords. I read somewhere that I can go safely through 1/2 meter of water.

I am from a tropical country so something we learn quickly is cars aren't boats. You be might be washed away, might flood or might cross, with some damage or not, you just never know...Anyway, my question is, if I just decide to cross something deeper, any mods I should be doing for this? I know about snorkel obviously, and move the breather for diff and gear box to a higher spot, anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, snorkel done.

I dont think I can upload more photos. I created another album and could only upload 7 photos then I couldn't anymore. I will opem an account on facebook or google for this photos then I post the links.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
Figure on replacing wheel bearings if you run them underwater often.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
As you said you still have to provide a air line for the differential and gear box or risk destroying them.

You also have cabin vents behind the rear tires that sit very low that is going to let water in.

You may want to consider moving the ECU just in case because it sits pretty low. If you should wonder into deeper water than you expected and it started coming in the ECU gets wet and you're done.

As already pointed out wheel bearings are likely to need attention after fording, just plan on frequent repacks just like on boat trailers.

I have a snorkel too but it was because the location of the old air intake was too low and was sucking up too much vegetation debris.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the wheel bearing tip.

All I can about those vents would be blocking them?

I also just added some "D channel" rubber strip to reinforce the door seals, just in case. I have my subwoofer and my amp under my seats, really not keen letting water inside my rav...

And by the way, here I posted more pics of my snorkel installation.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hfdrPNPNiSV1cA3x9

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
I blocked my rear lower vents with closed cell spray foam just in case I did a little fording and to quieten the cockpit, but I haven't put snorkel lines to my differential or gear box.... yet.

Your installation looks good. I couldn't salvage my stock airbox, some of the clamp attachment points were broken so I went with an aftermarket airbox.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a bit hard to find something that would fit on the airbox and on the snorkel flexible hose. What I used was a gutter pipe connection, although is a bit too thin and weak for the hose clamp it worked fine.

As my rav hasn't got sunroof I am all good to block those vents then. But thanks for the tip.
:wink

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone.

Two updates on "water crossing".

First: water might come inside your rav through the door speakers holes. That happened to me.

The holes at the bottom of the front doors allowed water to get in. Not much, the speakers are fine but it was enough to get my carpet quite wet.

Second: My caliper got stuck. The caliper cylinder wounldn't come back. I went to the ski field and back dragging the brakes the day after I went 4wdriving. It costed me two pads and new discs as well as they were pretty hot when I got home. I could hardly drive uphill. Had to go on first gear and even that way was a struggle.

Then I rebuilt the calipers completely and bled the system.

That's how the pads looked like.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts