Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Whenever it rains hard, which has been the case lately in LA area, I get considerable amount of water in passenger side floor board. I see water drops dripping from heater core, cruise control box and area behind them. It is not coolant from heater core as the car is not losing coolant and it only happens when it rains or at carwash. I have confirmed it by hosing down the car. Where is the opening (inlet) for hear on this cars?
Any other suggestion or similar experiences?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Some owners have complained about water leakage such as that and have found that the leak is due to their windshield gasket, which needs to be replaced. If I recall some owners have tried using sealant around the existing gasket with mixed results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi:

Whenever it rains hard, which has been the case lately in LA area, I get considerable amount of water in passenger side floor board. I see water drops dripping from heater core, cruise control box and area behind them. It is not coolant from heater core as the car is not losing coolant and it only happens when it rains or at carwash. I have confirmed it by hosing down the car. Where is the opening (inlet) for hear on this cars?
Any other suggestion or similar experiences?
Thanks
I would check your windshield start there and see if it's been replaced. You can tell it has most times when people put an aftermarket windshield and it no longer says Toyota. If it has it may not have been sealed correctly. Also check your drain tube from your evaporator and make sure it isn't clogged or it will back up into the car floor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The windshield is the original with Toyota name on it. I have checked all drain lines and any firewall to interior access including AC vent tube with no obvious sign of leak. I have been doing some reading, including the Toyota's TSB for similar issue in later models. It is just strange for a 20 years old car to develop such problem. At this point I am just following the TSB but since there is no revised gasket for this first gen RAV4, I am just sealing the lower part of the windshield to see what happens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do. It put sealant around the windshield! The only way to properly seal is to reinstall as it is a urethane set piece of glass. (I work in a glass shop in Washington hint, hint)
I have seen oem windshield channels rust and crest this situation. Sealant such as silicone doesn't work and is more of a contaminant than a fix. Determine the leak, and if you pull the glass , it will most likely break. Therefore a quality install with new glass is what I recommend if you can verify the leak of course. Sunroof drains are issues too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts