Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Picked up my 19’limited hv last weekend , driving through medium heavy rain this afternoon and noticed large pools of water forming on the front hood. One in front of driver seat and another on the right side. Speed 50 miles. ,

not used to see water pooling on the front hood in any of my previous cars.
Anyone else noticed that ?

solutions ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also noticed water pooling on the front edge of the hood while driving around 30 mph in a recent rainstorm. Seemed to pool and stay stuck in place due to the aerodynamics of the hood. Once the pool grew large enough, it finally gave way and burst all over my windshield. Kind of a cool show!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also noticed water pooling on the front edge of the hood while driving around 30 mph in a recent rainstorm. Seemed to pool and stay stuck in place due to the aerodynamics of the hood. Once the pool grew large enough, it finally gave way and burst all over my windshield. Kind of a cool show!
LOL this.
Same, I believe its the aerodynamics of the hood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep, definitely noticed this now that fall is here in the PNW. Visually distracting, but doesn't seem to pose any real problems. The one water related problem I do have is that the ridges in the roof can trap enough water during heavy rain so that you can temporarily lose visibility (driving under a waterfall effect) when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, definitely noticed this now that fall is here in the PNW. Visually distracting, but doesn't seem to pose any real problems. The one water related problem I do have is that the ridges in the roof can trap enough water during heavy rain so that you can temporarily lose visibility (driving under a waterfall effect) when coming to a stop.
Wonder how this flat hood will perform in heavy snow.
in every previous car that I owned before the front hood gets warm enough to melt snow quick enough.
mynew Rav4H doesn’t even get warm.
I tested different parts of the car after 45min drive with laser thermometer, the hood was as cold as every other part of the body.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Won’t fix snow buildup, but I can vouch for Turtle Wax Seal n’ Shine for water beading and general protection. You can’t beat that product especially for the price. I’m converted. Check out some YouTube videos on its beading and longevity. ~$7 at Walmart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could try ceramic coating, it tends to let the snow slide off better and water rolls right off easily, also makes it much easier to clean. It is expensive but well worth it, I used it on my older tacoma, but not so sure if your supposed to apply it to new vehicle paint...way better than your old school wax!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It should be just fine to apply a ceramic coat when the car or any paint jobs are at least a month old (random sources throughout the web).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most diy kits should probably have 2 applications of ceramic style coatings to your vehicle, there are different quality products so buyer beware! They are slowly coming out with the graphene coatings soon, don’t think they have anything diy for that yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts