Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've notice through the years that many RAV4.1 with the 3SFE engine have water pump problems. I've personally have never had a problem with it, even though I have a new one in my tool box just in case. In all these years, I've asked the magic question to those who have had to replace there pumps. Sure enough, the symptoms are the same. NEVER, EVER EVER, use water. Always Coolant or Anti-freeze.

You might ask, which is the difference between Coolant or Anti-freeze. Well, if you live in PR, like I do. You'll never need Anti-Freeze in my part of the world. We have tropical temperature of about 80 degrees all year round. Then why would you need Anti-Freeze, it will never freeze over. Now, if you live in North Dakota, Oregon, NY, NJ, Canada, Alaska etc. you would need and Anti-Freeze.

I see too many RAV4 owners blaming Toyota for installing a weak water pump in this engine. That is not the case. Follow my advice and it will never give you problems. Mine has 100K+ miles on it and it's never been changed.:wink

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just did timing belt, all seals and oil pump gasket on my 94 rav4 3sfe engine too, but decided not to touch on the water pump... I also bought it one but after all the hassle or learning everything for the first time I just couldnt be bothered and changing it... according to the old owner the water pump was changed at 145k km and the car has now 175k km so I guess still has a lot of life on it...

I'll keep checking for leaking or anything that could shown a temp problem. And now I know how to do it and have the tools, so would be a 3h job, not a 3 weekends job... huahuahauh

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Basic "Antifreeze" and "Antiboil" are generally the same thing -- ethylene glycol plus an inhibitor/lubricant "package". "Coolant" could be anything but properly means for modern daily-driver autos a mixture ("solution") of distilled water and antifreeze. Read and follow directions in your owner's manual and on the jugs, but generally a 50%/50% by volume mix is best. Premixed is generally more expensive than buying regular and distilled water separately.

There are other products out there, historical and modern. Fancy engines (think MB, BMW, etc.) often require very specific antifreezes that aren't sold at Walmart or possibly your local parts stores. The dealership or mail-order may then be your only option.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Never use anything but distilled water when diluting antifreeze. And yes you must dilute it unless you buy the kind already diluted, usually it is recommended 50/50. Straight antifreeze is not as efficient as dilute.

There is a better option, a waterless antifreeze, it is pricy but it never has to be replaced. It requires a thorough purge of the cooling system with their product prior to installation. http://www.evanscoolant.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts