Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 2010 V6 Limited in to check out a sort of wooo cabin noise. Can't tell if from engine or rear, but car has a history of trans noise (had trans replaced under warranty right after purchasing about 3 year ago). Toyota now says the noise is because water pump is leaking (very slowly they say) onto belts in engine. Here's the kicker: I thought the CPO warranty was the extended warranty for 7 years/100k miles. Haven't hit 100k miles yet, but they say the warranty ran out in June, which would make it 3 years. Can't find any warranty like this on Toyota's site, nor can I find my warranty papers (yet). Any thoughts? I'd like to write to Toyota to get a straight answer, but don't know where to go. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS: The dealer wanted $950 to replace water pump and "belts" (mine has a timing chain). But with no warranty, no sense in paying extra to dealer. My local mechanic says noise is likely rack and pinion. Live with it, he says. Toyota also found broken harness causing seat belt light to blink when there is no passenger. $4k to fix. Yikes!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I bought a 2010 V6 with the CPO warranty. It's as follows:
12 month/12k miles comprehensive, from your date of purchase. (pretty much everything)
7 year/100k mile drivetrain, starts when the car was brand new, not when you bought it.
1 year roadside assistance.
So, depending when your RAV was first sold, you might have run out in June by the 7 year time limit.
My take....your dealer wants to get rich. Your local mechanic might not know what the problem is. I don't think I'd "live with" a failing steering component. Take it somewhere else and get it properly diagnosed and fixed. The seatbelt light could probably be easily fixed by a local body shop.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
PS: The dealer wanted $950 to replace water pump and "belts" (mine has a timing chain). But with no warranty, no sense in paying extra to dealer. My local mechanic says noise is likely rack and pinion. Live with it, he says. Toyota also found broken harness causing seat belt light to blink when there is no passenger. $4k to fix. Yikes!
Your dealer is giving conflicting diagnosis with what your local mechanic is saying. The broken harness for the seat belt for $4k is really crazy. Any one that wants to replace a timing belt which actually has a metal timing chain is really not to be trusted.

As others have mention get your car fix elsewhere. There is nothing worst when someone thinks you are sucker when it comes to car repairs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
....Any one that wants to replace a timing belt which actually has a metal timing chain is really not to be trusted.
Perhaps the dealer was talking about the serpentine belt instead of the timing chain. When my water pump failed, I had the serpentine belt replaced at the same time. Several here said that was unnecessary, but I looked at it as $60 for peace of mind.

OP, did they specifically say "timing belt"?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Perhaps the dealer was talking about the serpentine belt instead of the timing chain. When my water pump failed, I had the serpentine belt replaced at the same time. Several here said that was unnecessary, but I looked at it as $60 for peace of mind.

OP, did they specifically say "timing belt"?
I'm guessing they did mean the serpentine belt. They couldn't be that stupid, could they?
....oh wait....

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I try to keep in mind is the 'game of Telephone' effect: if the mechanic talks to the office guy, then you talk to the office guy a few hours later, info gets distorted in translation. It also gets mixed with info about the other ten vehicles he's talked about today.
Another reason to work with an independent mechanic, if you get to talk directly to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts