Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a different sound coming from my engine and took it to my local mechanic. He heard it too and so he got his flashlight and started looking around the engine. On the passenger side of the engine he found a pink residue. So he took off the wheel and took off the protective plastic and low and behold there was a lot of pink buildup on the side of the engine.

This pink buildup is Toyota's anti-freeze. The water pump had been leaking for quite some time. Luckily he got to it before it ceased up.

I was really shoocked that the water pump would go out so fast on a new vehicle.

Also my Check engine light CEL is on. After having it inspected today it's the infamous PO420/430 trouble codes i've been reading about here on the forums.

Hayward Toyota where I bought it will diagnose the ECM for $140 :(. I'll keep you guys updated on that other thread.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Water Pump is bad at 65,000 miles on my 2002 RAV4.

sorry to hear about that, it sounds like it might just be a one vehicle thing, i havent hear dof it happenign to other ravies, let this be a lesson so that you check your anitfreeze/water level frequently. good luck with the issue and try to stay away from dealers as they will destroy your pocket....

·
Registered
685 Posts
My '98 RAV's water pump leaked at about the same distance (98,000 kms) and I thought it was a common problem in the 1st gen RAV's........dunno about the 2nd gen ones......
If you've got A/C and a timing belt instead of chain, get them to change the belt at the same time.......you don't want to pay the labour to go in that area twice!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
:shock: That's really unusual and unexpected. I don't think I've had ANY vehicle need a new pump that early, not even the cursed Honda. My 2001 RAV now has 110k miles on the odometer, and the pump is doing fine.

BTW, Bluenoser, the 2001+ RAVs have a timing chain instead of a belt, so just accessory belts would around to change during the water pump changeout.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not so rare anymore..

Modern anti-freeze has less lubrication qualities. I put water pump lube into all of my cars radiators now. Can be found at any car parts store. It's cheap insurance

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny.....I just hit 67K miles and the water pump went out.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question to those with failed water pump: Did you change your radiator fluid every two years with the specified Toyota compound?

Brian

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mine was dealer maintained and coolant was changed per their sched.............water pump seal still leaked......
This was a 1st gen Rav, will be watching my current 2nd gen closely.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts