Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in for a routine 5k service and was just informed that my water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Of all the Toyota and Lexus products I've ever owned, I've never had one with a water pump leak this early in the game. 55k seems very premature, IMO.

Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Yup, leaking and replaced under warranty at 30k on my 2006 V6 4.3.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that poll is sobering. I hope to be in a different vehicle within the next 18 months, so hopefully after this, it's problem free.

Surprising to see it happen so soon, but I guess this is a somewhat common Rav issue.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Leaking or weeping through the "weep hole"? I was also told I needed a new water pump by my Toyota dealer. Weeping is normal in some cases and will eventually go away. I just kept on eye on the coolant level and it did go away in about 2 weeks. There is a TSB on this issue.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Leaking pumps were especially problematic on the RAV V6s 2006 - 2009, but apparently are rare on the I4 engine. Good that this one began to leak at 55k before the warranty expired!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leaking or weeping through the "weep hole"? I was also told I needed a new water pump by my Toyota dealer. Weeping is normal in some cases and will eventually go away. I just kept on eye on the coolant level and it did go away in about 2 weeks. There is a TSB on this issue.
Full on leaking - not a "watch it and see" situation. Glad it's happened under warranty!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Toyota changed water pump designs around 2009. To be sure you are getting the updated pump, buy it at the dealer. Aftermarket pumps usually are the old design.

A typical example is Gates. The pump in the box will be identical to the pump being removed, and is the old design.

I replace a lot of Toyota/Lexus/Scion water pumps that have pink growth under the shaft. Usually they also sound like a box of rocks, which is the reason they are in my bay. The customer rarely notices the leak because the coolant congeals and doesn't cause a visible leak on the ground until the pump shaft is about to fall out.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Toyota changed water pump designs around 2009. To be sure you are getting the updated pump, buy it at the dealer. Aftermarket pumps usually are the old design.

A typical example is Gates. The pump in the box will be identical to the pump being removed, and is the old design.

I replace a lot of Toyota/Lexus/Scion water pumps that have pink growth under the shaft. Usually they also sound like a box of rocks, which is the reason they are in my bay.
I had my water pump changed out at 42K and it sounded like a box of rocks, or a can of marbles. I think the dealership gave me the new design because it had a revised part number. What did they do to improve the design?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe that's the sound I hear. I don't hear it when it's cold but under load around 3-4000 I hear a knock that speeds up with engine. I thought it might be belt tensioner or valve. But maybe it's the water pump. I'll find out either way this Friday.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Don't use tap or well water in your cooling system, don't allow maintenance people to do it either; only use distilled water and anti-freeze. Tap and well water (unless you are extremely fortunate) have lots of contaminates like iron, other minerals, and additives like fluoride and chlorine that corrode your cooling system.

Better yet use a waterless coolant like Evans, while it is pricey it doesn't have to be replaced for the life of the engine, has a much higher boiling temperature so the water pressure is much lower. High Performance Coolant | Evans Cooling Systems, Inc

I'm not a salesperson for Evans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts