Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a squeaking/chirping sound coming from the vicinity of the water pump on my 2002 FWD 5Sp RAV with 50K miles on the clock. I put a can of water pump lubricant made by Gunk (that name does NOT inspire confidence) and the chirp went away for a couple of weeks then came back. My question is, how long do the pumps tend to last on these cars? There is no bearing rumble or other ominous sound, and no leakage coming out of the seal area. A year ago when I changed the antifreeze I put the 100,000 mile stuff in thinking I would change it less often than the two year recommended interval. Has anyone done this with the thought that it would require less servicing?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Let's start with an accurate diagnosis first. Are you sure it is the WP?

There are no weep hole leaks; this is a good sign. But you hear a chirping/squeaking sound from it. To be sure of the noise location, I would suggest that you purchase a ($10-15) stethescope diagnostic tool from most any franchise parts store in your vicinity. This device will help pinpoint the location.

If the noise is coming from your WP (regardless of the mileage or care) your WP is moribund. SO it would be wise to plan to replace it soon before it dies while on the road and creates a major headache for you.

If the sound is coming from elsewhere then focus on another component or area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try this simple thing first before assuming its the pump. Take a spray bottle and spray the belt with some water and see if the squeel stops it may be a belt making the noise. or maybe even a quick squirt of belt dressing may. are you losing water??, are you overheating or running higher temps?. could it be the altenator, ??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The squeal in the vicinity of the water pump/belt returned louder than ever this spring so I took the advice of both Archer and Rav4don, and sprayed the serpentine belt with an automotive belt spray and instantly the squeal went away. So much for that. Thanks for your help. Lance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts