Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need a new water pump sometime soon and was wondering which brand is a good quality replacement besides getting one from a dealership. Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Gates is good, but to get the best, get OEM.

Reactions: flygt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fixit, looks like Aisin was the oem water pump supplier, I'll look for one of those.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Toyota has a problem with their water pumps leaking, and have contracted with a different manufacturer. Most every Toyota/Lexus/Scion water pump from around 2002 till 2009 will have pink crusty deposits under the bottom of the pump. Left alone, the pump will begin to rattle. All the pumps I have replaced have been Aisin.

I am not sure of the breakpoint, or how to tell if your existing water pump is the old design, and if the new water pump is the new design.

Reactions: glenf

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2002 with 108000 miles has a rattley noise coming from the serpentine belt area. My first thought was the tensioner pulley, but once into it, it appears that the water pump has been leaking slightly (path of pink) from the weep home and the pulley will wiggle when moved by hand. Is this the 'bad water pump bearing' problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2002 with 108000 miles has a rattley noise coming from the serpentine belt area. My first thought was the tensioner pulley, but once into it, it appears that the water pump has been leaking slightly (path of pink) from the weep home and the pulley will wiggle when moved by hand. Is this the 'bad water pump bearing' problem?
Any update on this? Did you get it checked out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts