Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is it ok to first wax the new RAV? I know that some of you have already waxed yours but is there a cure time on the new paint???

·
Registered
233 Posts
Picked mine up Saturday and waxed it Monday. Since it was already pretty shiny I went for one coat. I have repeat this in a week or so.

My production date was 3/06 and I believe 2 months is enough for the paint to dry. Since they all come from Japan, I believe you can start instantly.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What parts should not be waxed if any (i.e. badges, grill, molding, etc.)?

·
Registered
379 Posts
On that note, what's the best way to remove wax from the black molding, on all cars not just the RAV? Always seems to leave a light haze no matter what I try. The old toothbrush is my standby. Especially terrible on my BMW because the black molding is not smooth. :wall

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
mothers makes a thick liquid called back to black made for this. it works well.

inlets said:
On that note, what's the best way to remove wax from the black molding, on all cars not just the RAV? Always seems to leave a light haze no matter what I try. The old toothbrush is my standby. Especially terrible on my BMW because the black molding is not smooth. :wall

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The old hand's way of getting wax off black trim is to use peanut butter. The oil in it will remove the wax residue.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bontro said:
I've been wondering what the Meguiars NXT would do to the plastic pieces--anyone know??
I use NXT and it will leave that white film on black trim, at least it did on my TITAN. I haven't noticed this on my RAV4 :?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can some one explain me, what is waxing the car? What is the advantage of waxing the car? where do i wax my rav4?

Thanks
Amy.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Amy wrote:
Can some one explain me, what is waxing the car? What is the advantage of waxing the car? where do i wax my RAV4?
Waxing/polishing/detailing/sealing (use of a paint sealant) are all synonomous terms most of us use for applying a protectant finish to the paint surface and enhancing depth and clarity of shine. Purists will define waxing as using a carnuba based top coat wax. Polishing is more specifically using an abrasive polish to remove surface imperfections. Sealing is more commonly referred to as covering the the surface with a polymer based sealant for added protection.

So when someone refers to "waxing" their vehicle, they most generally are describing the process of applying a paint protectant to enable finish protection and improve the shine.........

You can "wax" your car in your garage or any shaded area, provided the temperature is warm and dry enough for the wax/polish /sealant to dry and haze before removing.

OC

·
Registered
11 Posts
where can i get a quick "how to" on waxing?

Such as what steps do i need to follow, that to wax and what not to wax and preciselly how to wax (kind of wax, what to apply with, how to apply, etc.)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I shampoo and wax the matrix by myself and the Altima I will take it to car wash with hot wax.
BTW, you can wax your car any time, how many times you want, I wax my matrix every week. :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Robert 564 wrote:
I’m a Zaino fan myself.
You are not alone here!! :wink:
I am one of Sal's best customers and have already gone through more than half a 16 fl oz bottle of Z-2 Pro and a whole 16 oz bottle of Z-6 spray on my two cars and a couple of my friends' - since the end of March!! :twisted:

OC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts