Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm speaking from personal experience. My RAV4 was eating up oil and gas like crazy. Now, that I’ve made some performance upgrades, it’s getting very good mileage. :wink: Even though it has more power and I’m an aggressive driver. Here it goes:

1. Install a header. This is the best bang for the buck that you can have. Of course, don't leave it at that, open up to 2" to 2.25". Cool sound, power, and just a touch on the gas pedal will get you going. Once you see what it had installed. You will know what I mean.

2. Install an oil cooler. Eliminate that ridiculous oil cooler that Toyota put their. When I saw it, I laugh out loud :lol:

3. Install a funnel intake filter AND, keep it clean.

4. When changing your oil, you have to add more oil when you have an after market oil cooler. I add 4 quarts of 5W-30, with one Lucas oil stabilizer.

It works so well, I took it to my local Toyota dealer to see if the Fuel Gauge was working properly. And, yes, I was fine.

Guys, these modes work well, and I've not even touched the timing. It's still at the same timimg the day I pull it out of the show room. :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
mensajero said:
Seriously, I've notice a reduction in gas consumption. Even though once in a while I get desperate with those [God Bless, no harm intended, we are all going to get their sooner or later] old ladies in a big old Chrysler. I just swifly go by and then some :wink: .
Interesting - you claim fuel saving but don't know what your mpg is --- I'm convinced :roll:

By the way - what's a 'header'

A

·
0 Posts
ag0w said:
mensajero said:
Seriously, I've notice a reduction in gas consumption. Even though once in a while I get desperate with those [God Bless, no harm intended, we are all going to get their sooner or later] old ladies in a big old Chrysler. I just swifly go by and then some :wink: .
Interesting - you claim fuel saving but don't know what your mpg is --- I'm convinced :roll:

By the way - what's a 'header'
Ignore me .... I saw the other thread about the work

We call headers 'manifolds' in the UK and that exhaust would be refered to as a 'big bore'

Wonder how you'd get it to fit a four wheel drive ---- sorry all wheel drive :roll:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But man, when you have a little more horses to use. Knowing the reputation of the RAV4 of being a slow poke. It is great to see the expression on peoples face when you go bye at a respectable speed. You just go: "Oh Yeah!" Really, they looked amazed at its sudden burst of torque and speed within its power range. Well, at least my RAV4 does. BTW, since I recently are kind of punishing my RAV4 lately. Tomorrow at 5:30 AM, I’m changing the oil. 4 qts. of Castrol 5-W30 and, 1 Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Here's some data for those looking for actual figures. :D I take meticulous data collection at all fill-ups and calculate mileage. I also have noted down when I have performed a specific modification. Therefore, looking back at all of this information; I have come up with some numbers for you all:

9/27/01 (bought RAV4 used) - 11/10/03 (42 fill-ups at 22.2 MPG)

11/10/03 (installed cold air intake) - 11/28/03 (2 fill-ups at 22.5 MPG)

11/28/03 (installed hyper ground wires) - 4/15/04 (42 fill-ups at 21.2 MPG)

4/15/04 (installed rear spoiler)- 12/30/04 (25 fill-ups at 21.8 MPG)

12/30/04 (installed HKS exhaust)- 6/23/05 (18 fill-ups at 21.1 MPG)

As you can see from the data, I've actually lost gas mileage from adding performance parts to my RAV. I consider it somewhat negligible considering the power gains that are now available to my RAV. The only thing that I can explain for the loss of consumption is that I now drive a bit more aggressively with the newfound power. :lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
From what Ive found, the headers or manifold or whatever you want to all them save you fuel in 2 ways.

1......They drop the temperature in the combustion chamber by allowing the hot gasses to escape quicker, and 2 ....they give a bit more BHP without affecting fuel flow , which in turn allows you to use less gas pedal when driving normally. Now this all depends on how much beter the new headers are compared to the standard ones

Thrash the car, and you wont see much if any fuel saving

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that depends on who is driving. Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. I have run in numerous rallies, Drag Races, Solo I. Thank GOD, I never have had an accident. If I do lock horns with someone. I have to know the road in order for me to give a run for his money, but not his life. Now, if I see a dude who is pushing his car to do things on the road that the car is not prepared for it. I just let him pass. But in reality, I just race against myself for pleasure and fun. Not for competition. TSD Rallies is another story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts