Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
According to Toyota, when the company reshaped the RAV4 Hybrid gas tank starting in the 2019 model year, that new shape “may prevent a full refill by up to several gallons, potentially impacting the vehicle’s total available driving distance.
Official quote please. Otherwise this is nothing other than supposition that has been stated before; many times with no official word backing it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like many other companies, Toyota is basically shut down here in America... It is going to take a while for Toyota and its' suppliers to get up and running......

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like many other companies, Toyota is basically shut down here in America... It is going to take a while for Toyota and its' suppliers to get up and running......
It seems to me that this is an engineering/design issue that needs to be fixed by the people in Japan. It is only after the issue is addressed that it would be implemented at the Kentucky plant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It seems to me that this is an engineering/design issue that needs to be fixed by the people in Japan. It is only after the issue is addressed that it would be implemented at the Kentucky plant.
Do you know for a fact that ALL design work for Toyota is done in Japan? As I recall, Toyota had a design center in California, then moved it to Texas. Why would the "fix" be implemented only at the Kentucky plant? The RAV4 is manufactured at several locations. Mine was made in Canada, for example....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Official quote please. Otherwise this is nothing other than supposition that has been stated before; many times with no official word backing it up.
What counts as "official?" That's a quote given by Toyota to the press. This is certainly more than just supposition (though I'd still take it with a grain of salt, since PR and engineering aren't always on the same page).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
What counts as "official?" That's a quote given by Toyota to the press. This is certainly more than just supposition (though I'd still take it with a grain of salt, since PR and engineering aren't always on the same page).
Toyota documentation, Toyota letterhead linked to a fix number. We have service reps, PR reps...all kinds of people that say "stuff" but have not seen one official word about anything.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Called CR again today. As usual, it took awhile to find someone to speak with much knowledge of the issue. But when I reached such a person, at least I heard they are finally acknowledging it's the gas tank that is the issue.

I asked about the status of the fix we heard was coming in March or April? Nothing. Still working on it.

I did ask if there was an issue with coronavirus shutdowns in Japan or here and was told they have engineers in North America working on it, many are still working, just working from home or otherwise taking precautions like most of the rest of us.

I also asked if we invoked our state's lemon law and we took a new 2020 hybrid in exchange, would we find the same problem with that? The answer--they were not away of any changes to the gas tank design in 2020's. so in essence....replacing with a new Rav4 will not fix the issue for most.

I was told in past major issues normally each owner will get contacted via mail with instructions on what they can or will do for them. A short while before that arrives the call center will be able to talk about it--not before then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm happy with mine, just have to fill it slowly. Don't really want the dealer ripping it apart and replacing parts, which some people have gone through and still have the issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was at my dealership today for my RAV4 XSE 10,000 mile service. While checking out, I asked the service rep about the gas tank issue. He said he had not heard about it at all. I let him know all about and he would ask the service manager about it. I doubt he did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer called and said a new tank design would be available in August -September ... hopefully the new design will fill from the top of the tank... not halfway down the side... SMDH

·
Registered
3 Posts
im new here can someone explain this problem to me? Also I live in ny and got this car during winter was on,y getting around 30mpg normally I don’t drive much and mostly city/town short trips. However I started doing deliveries and I have to say this what hybrids were made for and taxi too.. that’s why so many Prius cabs, I’m now averaging 39.4 mpg. For the past 3 months. The first 3-4 months was much less.. so gotta figure I’m gettin over 40 now? Wish there was a way to measure mpg for more then one trip-lifetime... would like to be able to keep lifetime mpg but reset it now and see what I’m getting now but I don’t think u can do that without losing history

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just googled this because I never heard of it.. found article about class action lawsuit... my car reads full but I too have wondered why my car seems to take such little gas.. most times I only put 10$ or so in for half a tank. Very rarely do I let it go below half a tank. But always putting in 10$ or less seemed too good to be true

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
927 Posts
im new here can someone explain this problem to me? Also I live in ny and got this car during winter was on,y getting around 30mpg normally I don’t drive much and mostly city/town short trips. However I started doing deliveries and I have to say this what hybrids were made for and taxi too.. that’s why so many Prius cabs, I’m now averaging 39.4 mpg. For the past 3 months. The first 3-4 months was much less.. so gotta figure I’m gettin over 40 now? Wish there was a way to measure mpg for more then one trip-lifetime... would like to be able to keep lifetime mpg but reset it now and see what I’m getting now but I don’t think u can do that without losing history

wander over to fuelly.com and keep track of your MPG there. Takes several fill-ups for the data to mean anything because of the uncertain starting point. But after 8k plus miles I have enetered every fill up but the dealer's initial fill and my mpg is below. I can see trends, graphs, etc.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts