Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

We have to push Toyota to fix gas tank, why everyone is so quiet

12K views 74 replies 38 participants last post by  mikefocke 
#1 ·
Don't see many people on this forum to discuss gas tank any more, are you guys happy with Toyota. Hybrid customer had a lot of post everywhere before, but now I don't see gas tank topic on this forum. If we keep quiet, Toyota will be a winner, then all of us will be losers. How about law suit in ca, does judge rule anything. By the way, mpg in winter in cold states is 25 to 32 mpg, how about now folks, if you're in il, wi, mn, Midwest, what's mpg now, temperature is 40 to 55 degree, are you guys getting better mpg. CA FL AZ southern states mpg always high because they don't suffer cold all year long.

#3 ·
Don't see many people on this forum to discuss gas tank any more, are you guys happy with Toyota. Hybrid customer had a lot of post everywhere before, but now I don't see gas tank topic on this forum.
Really??? 6000+ posts on half dozen threads is quiet?

#4 ·
Don't see many people on this forum to discuss gas tank any more, are you guys happy with Toyota.
First off, Toyota has announced that they were working on a fix. We must take them at their word. We can deal with it for now.
Second, Toyota and Honda are in the process of shutting down operations in the U.S. - can we give them a break? I think so.
And a Third point. I think we all need to take in a deep breath, and get through this COVID-19 crisis FIRST !

#5 ·
Don't see many people on this forum to discuss gas tank any more, are you guys happy with Toyota. Hybrid customer had a lot of post everywhere before, but now I don't see gas tank topic on this forum. If we keep quiet, Toyota will be a winner, then all of us will be losers. How about lawsuit in ca, does judge rule anything. By the way, mpg in winter in cold states is 25 to 32 mpg, how about now folks, if you're in il, wi, mn, Midwest, what's mpg now, temperature is 40 to 55 degree, are you guys getting better mpg. CA FL AZ southern states mpg always high because they don't suffer cold all year long.
Its more easy fix your gas pistol problem than rule the World with that.

#13 ·
Such a useful post. While this thread in general is a duplicate; posts like this are a put down because his/her worries do not align with yours. And there are different flavors/intensities of the fuel filling issue. While you might be able to spend a few more moments filling a tank...several here cannot regardless of fill speed.

All we want is the user to read and post in the correct thread.

#15 ·
Oh my goodness! Do we have to babysit, edit, and issue warnings on another thread because not everyone agrees and someone might be offended? If so we'll likely just close it. And there will indeed be no appeal.

Reactions: paid4c4
#16 ·
I guess I misunderstood the title which ask the question "why is everyone so quite." regarding the gas tank issue. I was simply and with respect stating why some are so quiet on the issue. I do feel for those Rav owners who perhaps have a worse problem than mine I certainly hope the issue get resolved.
Bill

#17 ·
Just change your gas pistol noses to working ones and everything is fine. And stop That jaada jaada Moron talk. The issue is your too sensitive airback valvesystem. Make your own engineers to sori and think A bit more and they may get an Ahaa. Not that Ihaa what now seems to bee.

#24 · (Edited)
No problem in :
Finland
Sweden
Norway
Danmark
Poland
Latvia
Lithunia
Estonia
Russia
Germany
Fance
Spain
Italy
Greenland
South Africa
Netherlands
United Kingdom

I havent heard problem:
Australia
New Zealand
Japan
China
Saudi Arabia
Greece
Brasilia
Kazakstan

Problem countrys are as I have heard:

USA

#31 ·
My current theory:

Based on looking at the way the filler hose enters the tank (not from the top but in the middle), I think you can fill at full speed for half a tank(as long as the gas in the tank is lower than the top of the filler tube), then the fuel in the tube starts hitting the fuel in the tank. It creeps up the filler tube and creates back pressure which shuts off the nozzle.

So the last portion of the fill has to be at a leisurely speed so fuel into the tank isn't blocked by the fuel already in the tank. If there is too much back pressure, the fuel backs up high into the filler tube causing the nozzle shut-off to trigger. If you do it slow enough so the fuel has time to enter the tank without overwhelming the venting system, the fuel can slowly flow into the tank.

I can't remember when I didn't hit the F mark. And looking back on it, those were times some pump jockey was in a hurry and filled for me or before I learned the slowly but surely method.

Is this optimum? No optimum would be a fill tube entering the tank from the top (not from the middle) so the back pressure didn't develop. But look at that area from underneath the car and tell us how you would redesign it given the suspension location and the need for a flat cargo floor.

#57 ·
My current theory:

Based on looking at the way the filler hose enters the tank (not from the top but in the middle), I think you can fill at full speed for half a tank(as long as the gas in the tank is lower than the top of the filler tube), then the fuel in the tube starts hitting the fuel in the tank. It creeps up the filler tube and creates back pressure which shuts off the nozzle.

So the last portion of the fill has to be at a leisurely speed so fuel into the tank isn't blocked by the fuel already in the tank. If there is too much back pressure, the fuel backs up high into the filler tube causing the nozzle shut-off to trigger. If you do it slow enough so the fuel has time to enter the tank without overwhelming the venting system, the fuel can slowly flow into the tank.

I can't remember when I didn't hit the F mark. And looking back on it, those were times some pump jockey was in a hurry and filled for me or before I learned the slowly but surely method.

Is this optimum? No optimum would be a fill tube entering the tank from the top (not from the middle) so the back pressure didn't develop. But look at that area from underneath the car and tell us how you would redesign it given the suspension location and the need for a flat cargo floor.
I wonder if anyone has an old school farm gas tank. No pressure/vapor sensors on those. I think they all but eliminated them some years back, but if someone can get one filled with gas it would be interesting to see how they work in a car with a known problem. Have to think Toyota tried something like that already though. Although maybe that worked--and they still are trying to figure out how to retrofit a new design, as even if that worked they have to design a new system.

#32 ·
I have tried that already thoughout the winter. My experience (me, myself and Irene's) is that on an empty tank (for me) that if I attempt to regular fill to about 5.xx gallons and then go slow I come up short. I can only get 9.xx or 10.xx in. If I go slow the whole time I get upper 11.xx into the tank.

Again, YMMV and this experiment was done half-assed on my part and you might have better results.

#33 ·
I have tried that already throughout the winter. My experience (me, myself and Irene's) is that on an empty tank (for me) that if I attempt to regular fill to about 5.xx gallons and then go slow I come up short. I can only get 9.xx or 10.xx in. If I go slow the whole time I get upper 11.xx into the tank.

Again, YMMV and this experiment was done half-assed on my part and you might have better results.
There 2 functions with that airflow system and they are working together. 1 it takes the overflowing air from tank and circulates that to keep fumes to you minimal. Same time it keeps that overflow vent shut and pistol flowing. I think that airflow rate, Airtube size, airtube hole situation, gas foaming and tight of the vent are all critical. Too narrow tank tube as well means. You may be a little too much safe side with that flowing air and that's it. We have same exact gas systems with our made in Japan versions and no problems all over the other World. Your gas foaming and the stations are left to think. If I fills up with 3 clicks, I will get gasoline to shoes every time and I can see the gas level with eyes. Meter is TOP over TOP to the wall. After 1 click I can tank no more than 1.5 Liters. Other 2 stops stright that. 3:rd gets out to shoes.

#39 ·
So i think we know the differences now. In The Netherlands we don't have such a sticker, and no problems refueling. Ever. Conclusion must be like Pikeviewer and many others wrote above: the emission regulations in the US and Canada forced Toyota to tailor a different EVAP system to comply to these rules, and that didn't work out very well. So yes, only one conclusion can be right: Toyota f*cked up, and needs to figure out a good fix.
These cars are expensive and need to be close to perfect. With this statement i withdraw all of my previous comments and admit my critisism was misplaced.

#44 ·
I got my RAV4 HV in September. I adapted to accept the 10.5 gallon maximum fill up with ~380 mile range, although I wasn’t real happy about it. (My 2013 Camry HV had a 600 mile range.) I documented the fill-up limit with my dealer one time and moved on.

NOW (after 6000 miles) I cannot fill beyond 8.3 - 8.5 gallons in the last two fills. One fill was at DTE 25, one at DTE just beyond Refuel. If I go beyond 1st click I can get 0.9 - 1.0 more gallons.

Why the sudden change?
I don’t have the gas gauge problem. After pumping to first click the gauge is at or past Full, both before and now.

#45 ·
If we keep quiet, Toyota will be a winner, then all of us will be losers. How about law suit in ca, does judge rule anything.
--begin sarcasm-- And now that a lot of the nation is on a 'work at home' status, a lot of manufacturing placed on 'pause' or just plain 'laid off,' I wonder who got to take the tank project home with them to solve the 'problem.' --end sarcasm--

#46 ·
I thought we were saving the world from catastrophic climate change with our magical hybrids and our overly-complicated and unnecessary vapor recovery system that affects our ability to fill our tanks yet it's appearing that an overwhelming majority of countries that aren't the U.S. or Canada are just spewing fuel vapors out of their tanks and into the atmosphere! Still feel like you're making a difference saving the planet? FOR SHAME!!!!!!! /sarcasm

#50 ·
as someone who racked up 27k in the last six months my vehicle has sat idle for three weeks while we quarantine... as others have said we’ve spoken out peace and Toyota has stated they’re working on a fix. At this time in our lives we hav more important things to worry about.
Its not off the list but it’s pretty far down there.

Reactions: andaconda
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.