Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, my wife's 2010 Rav4 V6 failed to start this morning. It has been in pretty good shape until now (around 44,000 miles). The battery has never been replaced, and I did notice a small lag to start, but it always started.

When I turned the key the motor turned, but it did not start. I tried the same thing two or three more times, but the same thing happened. I disconnected the battery and charged it for a couple of hours, and when I turned the key the motor turned for a couple of seconds and then tried to start, but as if fuel starved (the motor catches on, but it does not go into the preset RPM). It did this two times, so I turned the key off. The car is in the garage, and the temperature is around 50 degrees F.
------
I plan to buy a new battery today at NAPA, and will install it tomorrow. I believe that there is a possibility to flood the motor when trying to start to so many times, but I am not certain about that. But that was the case with a 1987 Civic Si I have. Will keep my fingers crossed, and will keep you informed.

P.S.
Forgot to mention that the second time I connected a fully charged battery (using jumper cables) to the battery in the car that I had just charged for two hours. That's when the motor tried to start as mentioned above.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think flooding in a fuel injected engine is that easy if next to impossible to do.
If your car is turning over at a good rate and not starting I wouldn't in my opinion be looking at the battery first.
44,000 miles seems early for a battery even in your northern climate.
I replaced mine after 5 years, not because it was causing trouble, but only because I thought I was pushing my luck at 200,000Km.

You had a full charge in your battery and still wouldn't start, Id look at spark or even fuel first.
DO you hear your fuel pump priming when you first turn your key?...

Good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think flooding in a fuel injected engine is that easy if next to impossible to do.
If your car is turning over at a good rate and not starting I wouldn't in my opinion be looking at the battery first.
44,000 miles seems early for a battery even in your northern climate.
I replaced mine after 5 years, not because it was causing trouble, but only because I thought I was pushing my luck at 200,000Km.

You had a full charge in your battery and still wouldn't start, Id look at spark or even fuel first.
DO you hear your fuel pump priming when you first turn your key?...

Good luck
On this Rav4 I cannot hear the pump priming (loss of hearing, I imagine) :)

Anyway, I went to the garage and connected the second battery to the one on the Rav4, and turned the key. The motor turned trying to catch on (making noise like it was trying to start), and finally started, but a little rough, and then the RPM stabilized.

And yes, it's true that batteries last a lot longer in Alaska, although this one should be getting close to 5 years already. But if the problem is the battery, I suspect that it gets discharged because of the following reasons: my wife starts the Rav4 in the morning, lets the motor warm up, and then drives to work about three miles away. She does the same in the afternoon after work, and drives home. That's about 6-8 mile trip each day, with the lights and heater blower turned on. At work she plugs the Rav4 into an electrical outlet when the temperature is below 0 degree F. The battery has a heating pad; the motor has a block heater, and an oil pan heater.

I will try to start the Rav4 one more time without having an additional battery connected to the old battery. But first I will charge the battery one more time for a couple of hours with a trickle charger/maintainer I have.

For the time being I could continue charging the battery each evening using a trickle charger. If I replace the battery I will replace the electric battery blanket with an onboard trickle charger since it can top-off the battery while the Rav4 is parked at work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The hard start and rough idol was caused by the computer re learning your settings.
I think the short trips and high current draw have done some damage, you know what your up against, and under different circumstances I had the same problems with my high draw stereo system.
I replaced my 5 year old factory battery with a optima yellow top.
Im not pushing brands, but think with conditions you should be looking at a agm battery.
Or even a gel pack if you can fit one.

Im no battery expert, but its what I would be looking into.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The hard start and rough idol was caused by the computer re learning your settings.
I think the short trips and high current draw have done some damage, you know what your up against, and under different circumstances I had the same problems with my high draw stereo system.
I replaced my 5 year old factory battery with a optima yellow top.
Im not pushing brands, but think with conditions you should be looking at a agm battery.
Or even a gel pack if you can fit one.

Im no battery expert, but its what I would be looking into.
Thanks Dave,

My options are very limited in Fairbanks. There is NAPA, Autozone, Walmart, Sears, Toyota dealer, and O'Rally. The battery costs around $135.00 at most stores, but I imagine that it costs a lot more at the dealer's shop. But I will look for AGM batteries around town. The NAPA one has a 5-year exchange warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
walmart carries optima i believe
don't bother with the dealer,
is the napa 5 year full exchange or prorated?
Either way...
your prob doing some post christmas battery shopping.

good luck and I hope it fixes your problems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
walmart carries optima i believe
don't bother with the dealer,
is the napa 5 year full exchange or prorated?
Either way...
your prob doing some post christmas battery shopping.

good luck and I hope it fixes your problems.
Thanks again, Dave.

Just removed the trickle charger from the battery (I always disconnect the negative cable at the battery before charging), and started the Rav4. It started right away with no delay. Left it running outside where the remote starter will run the engine for 25 minutes. It's -17 degrees F outside right now.

So it seems that I can just buy an onboard trickle charger and let that take care of the old battery for now to see if that works, but will soon replace the battery with a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 Rav 4-4 cyl. 153000 miles. battery light has been flashing for 2+ months.
Has a 3 year old battery & 3 year old alternator. Changed alternator again (so original plus 2 replacements) cuz they said it was bad, under warranty except labor. Had it back to see if they could diagnose the flashing battery light & weak windows & wipre issue. Couldn't find anything & battery & new alternator tested fine. But Still doing it. Plus seems to want to die @ stop signs. Twice now all the dash warning lights came on. You can tell when its acting up cuz the windows & wipers are weak & slow. Then last week it just quit! all dash lights came on & everything went off, including all power to the whole car. I was on a US hwy and hit my flashers & coasted to a parking lot. as I called my hubby I tried starting it and it actually tried to turn over. I waited about 5 more minutes & tried starting it again - started right up as normal, full power to windows & wipers, so I just drove home. had it to Toyota dealer and they couldn't find anything. They said they've had problems with aftermarket alternators. Could that be why the first replacement one failed? or maybe that was just a bad alternator. I have an aftermarket remote starter since the year I bought the vehicle new and no problems with that. Then I had two issues of squirrels chewing thru my wires so had that fixed back in 2008. I told dealership to check all those connections and for bad ground or other corroded/bad wires or connections. They found nothing but still doing it. Have also had to replace passenger side headlight bulb twice within 6 months and also passenger side dim light bulk twice in 6 months. Why do those keep going out? Also had air bag recall done & that warning light still coming on & off at random. Any ideas would be helpful as if I decide to get rid of it, I really can't until this issue is solved. Thanks for you time!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our Mazda was acting like that and it turned out to be a corroded ground wire. With squirrels having attacked your wiring I think that should be a prime suspect. Have a different mechanic check it out, not the dealer.

As for light bulbs, be sure you don't touch the glass of the bulb when installing. Oils from your hand can lead to early burn outs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After 4 yrs our 2010 base battery took a crap. Car only have about 45k on it so far. After one cold day, low double digit, it wouldn't crank.. Just the typical click click click click.. Jump it and it will start. Next day same thing. Replaced it with sam's club Duracell 24r.. Kicking strong, even below zero. 3yrs warranty. So far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
repeated issues

About a week after I bought my 1997 Rav 4 (the first week of January this year/ 3 months ago,) I had to put a new starter in it. A few weeks later, I went home to walk the dogs. Went back to the car to find it wouldn't start. Tried to jump it repeatedly, but all attempts failed.

Got AAA out to the house about a week later, and they were able to get it running. Within 3 days, the car- literally- stopped while I was driving it. After about 20 minutes, though, it started back up. I took it immediately to Walmart (I was passing Walmart when it happened) and had them replace the battery. While I was waiting, I read on one of these forums that if the car stops in-motion, it's probably an alternator issue.

Auto-Zone tested my alternator, and sure enough, it wasn't putting out enough volts. We installed a new alternator, and everything seemed fine.

Then last week, it happened again. The car just stopped, within a few minutes of starting. Now, it won't start at all.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and with all the snow, it's hard to get anyone out here to jump it, and I'm afraid I'm going to end up stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well right on schedule, my oem battery decided to have problems. 3 years, 35,000 miles. It's almost like clockwork on the OEM batteries. In my case, it was still starting fine, but it decided to leak all over the place. I had corrosive crap all over everything, needed a major clean up. Because of all the corrosion everywhere, I had the dealer replace it, rather than buy a battery someplace else. That way they could check and replace anything else wrong under warranty (other than the battery). Also saved me the effort of having to clean all that blue crud up. Cost me $30 more than going elsewhere, but seemed more than worth it to be on the safe side. The replacement Toyota batteries appear to be different than the OEMs, though I am sure they are all made by Johnson anyway.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
SirJohn, my original battery died and was replaced under warranty with a Toyota TrueStart battery, which looked like a typical Johnson Controls battery. That one died after 25 months, just after the 24 month free replacement.

·
Super Moderator
11,049 Posts
SirJohn, my original battery died and was replaced under warranty with a Toyota TrueStart battery, which looked like a typical Johnson Controls battery. That one died after 25 months, just after the 24 month free replacement.
Same here, Toyota brand batteries are a real joke. The dealer told me that the replacement battery only had the remainder of the original 36 month warranty.
Either way it didn't make it two years......and that's on BOTH our RAVs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was a month out of the factory warranty and platinum extended doesn't cover the battery. Service manager was out so I couldn't petition him to cover the battery anyway. I wanted to get all the corrosion out as soon as possible so didn't feel like waiting a few days to only maybe getting it covered. I wonder what is up with all the crappy batteries. Johnson supplies everyone so I am surprised that the Toyota ones are so crappy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My RAV's Johnson Controls battery just quit today, at slightly over 3 years, with absolutely no warning. With my parents' older Toyotas there had always been some indicators that the battery was going, so we'd just get another one (typically every 5 years or so) before it left anyone stranded; but with this one there was nothing--and I check the RAV before and after every drive for anything out of the ordinary.

The guy at the Toyota parts department said it's most likely that the battery was almost dead and it quit today because of the 90+ degree weather. He also said that the Toyota True-Start batteries are made by Interstate Battery. We've had relatively good luck with them on other Toyotas, but I'll wait and see how it goes with the RAV's.

Also, as the lock button on the door and on the key didn't work with the dead battery, there was no way to lock the rear door as the keyhole in the driver's side seems to only lock that one door, and the other 3 doors I could lock manually...but there isn't a manual lock for the rear door.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 09 battery pooped on me this morning. It was the original battery and lasted almost 6 years. I stopped by at Autozone and picked up the Gold level with 5 year warranty. The interesting thing is that the lady over the counter said that if I bring it back between 4-5 years, they will prorate the difference on the new battery if it test low. It doesn't have to die for the warranty to kick in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everyone seems to have different experiences with their battery life, I just want to state that mine has surpassed the life expectancy that I had thought it would last. I have two audio amplifiers in my rav that draw a lot of current (over 100 amps in total), not consistently, but often. That, on top of the current draw the vehicle draws to operate, I have yet to experience a failing battery or alternator. I even accidentally depleted the battery about seven times already (which I'm pretty sure isn't a good thing for batteries) and it still starts my rav every time, even in the cold weather here in Canada. That to me is one heck of a battery which is close to being 5 years old.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Everyone seems to have different experiences with their battery life, I just want to state that mine has surpassed the life expectancy that I had thought it would last. I have two audio amplifiers in my rav that draw a lot of current (over 100 amps in total), not consistently, but often.
You have been lucky, BUT, you live in Canada, and have the I4 which means the battery is not subjected to the intense heat of the V6 and long summers here in the Deep South. Heat is what kills our batteries.

·
Super Moderator
11,049 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread I just put the fourth battery in my '08 Limited V-6 purchased new in '09.

govtec.......the Autozone Duralast Gold has a 36 month over the counter exchange then it goes to pro rating. Mine made it 34 months so I just went and got another one at no charge, pun intended:) .

121 - 140 of 188 Posts