Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone else experienced this. Have a 15 LE AWD that's 3 months old. With the advent of the snowy weather I've noticed that the passenger side wiper leaves a big 10 x 6 inch streak in the center of the wipe zone of the blade. I cleaned the wiper off, used the wiper fluid, still does it, just won't wipe the windshield clean in the center zone of the blade. Seems like a recent development but I can't remember any type of trauma to the arm that I'm aware of. The driver side is fine and you can feel much stronger tension in the arm against the windshield from the driver's side than the passenger side. Does anyone else notice that their pass. side arm is easier to pull up than driver's? Anyway, I don't think I've ever had this type of problem on a brand new car but maybe I just got a bum arm.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Maybe the spring has sprung. Replace the blade.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Since your RAV is only three months old I would check with the selling dealer since there is an obvious problem, and find out whether they will fix the problem at no cost to you. Also, Ontario provincial regulations may require that that the dealer correct the problem without charging you for the cost.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Did you try a new/different wiper blade to see if it's just the blade?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I was unimpressed with my wipers which failed the first Winter. Replaced them with Bosch ICONs. Awesome performance now.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just checked the tension on my wipers, and the tension is stronger in the arm against the windshield on the driver's side than on the passenger side.

Additionally, the driver's side wiper is larger than on the passenger side, so I can see that the driver's side would be designed to apply more tension.

Perhaps running a small piece of Scotchbrite along the edge of the blade to 'freshen up' the rubber might be an easy solution to your problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try to slightly bend the blade. It might have taken a a weird shape during the cold weather.
I think this might have fixed it. I did it before I read your post but just on a whim I flexed the blade upwards--instead of cupping it towards the windshield I just gently flexed it away from the windshield and some ice that had been trapped in the center of the housing (where the attachment to the arm is) cracked and popped out. When I tested it after that, it seemed to wipe normally, eliminating the water across the whole sweep of the blade. I guess that the trapped ice had caused the center of the blade to not pull away normally from the mid-point of the wiper, preventing normal pressure against the windshield at the center for a big portion of its sweep. I never thought to bend it away from the windshield but there you go. And I had washed the car the day before in above freezing temps and the next day with snowy weather is when it happened, seemingly out of the blue. Not 100% sure it won't happen again and it hasn't been tested in inclement conditions yet. This vehicle is full of all sorts of little surprises.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked the tension on my wipers, and the tension is stronger in the arm against the windshield on the driver's side than on the passenger side.

Additionally, the driver's side wiper is larger than on the passenger side, so I can see that the driver's side would be designed to apply more tension.

Perhaps running a small piece of Scotchbrite along the edge of the blade to 'freshen up' the rubber might be an easy solution to your problem.
Thanks, good to know that the tension difference seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Time for "winter" wipers.....
I've been real happy with Michelin wipers from Costco on my last 3 RAVs.
I usually get them an inch shorter than summer (original) wipers, so they don't load the wiper motor as much moving heavy snow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine has the same issue. Today was the first time I got to drive it in a snow storm and the passenger wiper sucked. I checked for ice, but it was clean.
Try grabbing both ends of the blade and gently bowing it outwards away from the windshield and see if a bit of ice pops out of the center at the connector to the arm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts