Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant imagine I'm the only one who isn't too impressed with the strength of the trunk floor. I have the all weather trunk liner, which forces you to position the trunk floor board in the "top position" so the rubber liner lays flat. Because of this, the trunk floor is "floating" about 4 inches or so above the spare tire, so there is nothing under it to support it. I've put a ~35 pound cooler in the trunk and the floor sags noticeably. Does anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had to get in my trunk to move some camping supplies around and I was just waiting for my knee to bust a hole through the floor tbh. At least it didn't happen? lol

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
Actually it's not weak, just flexible, I've hauled 240lbs of seed on mine with no issue. This is to be expected when reducing weight and cutting costs, previous gen deck boards were rigid and heavier, just another change like the loss of the driver's seat back pocket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually thinking about the foam idea. I think they could have redesigned the foam that fit into the spare wheel to be up higher to support the load.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was actually thinking about the foam idea. I think they could have redesigned the foam that fit into the spare wheel to be up higher to support the load.
That would have been the smartest thing to do.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-7-60-EPS-Air-Handler-Block-8-x-8-x-4-Concrete-Gray?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkJym_f3o4gIV2Y2zCh32WA0uEAQYASABEgJHTvD_BwE

We sell them for about $5 at the supply house I work at. You could easily trim them with a sharp knife and they are strong enough to hold my tubby 280lb self without deforming.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I sat in the trunk to install the all weather mats onto the back side of the seat. The right side of the floorboard buckled thru on the right side =[.

I also added a long non-slip liner because the all weather was slippery with some things. Other than that, it's okay for my normal use.

Personally, do not think the design is good.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
That would have been the smartest thing to do.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-7-60-EPS-Air-Handler-Block-8-x-8-x-4-Concrete-Gray?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkJym_f3o4gIV2Y2zCh32WA0uEAQYASABEgJHTvD_BwE

We sell them for about $5 at the supply house I work at. You could easily trim them with a sharp knife and they are strong enough to hold my tubby 280lb self without deforming.
Several choices here . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed it with my ~120lb dog! He hasn't said anything about it, but he's not the most talkative unless he's at the dog park.

Love the foam block idea, thanks for the links!

·
Registered
308 Posts
The reason for the weak floor is obviously because of its thickness. Toyota did this so you can guide it into two different channels upper and lower to and another couple inches of height. I would have preferred a thicker stronger flat deck than moving it around and more prone to being damaged from both movement and adding weight to the deck.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would hope that some clever person creates a donut sort of thing to set on top of the spare tire to add additional support for the deck. Maybe, if needed, two different thickness' so the floor can still be adjusted and maintain its strength from the donut. Oh, and it must not squeak o_O, available on Amazon with free shipping.

Hey, maybe a thick folded blanket, that might work and it would be dual function for those cold camping trips. Hey, I might be that clever guy, who knew :cool:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would hope that some clever person creates a donut sort of thing to set on top of the spare tire to add additional support for the deck. Maybe, if needed, two different thickness' so the floor can still be adjusted and maintain its strength from the donut. Oh, and it must not squeak o_O, available on Amazon with free shipping.

Hey, maybe a thick folded blanket, that might work and it would be dual function for those cold camping trips. Hey, I might be that clever guy, who knew :cool:
I have tools and other things on top of and around the spare tire that stiffens it up just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually it's not weak, just flexible, I've hauled 240lbs of seed on mine with no issue. This is to be expected when reducing weight and cutting costs, previous gen deck boards were rigid and heavier, just another change like the loss of the driver's seat back pocket.
Long delay in a reply here, but this past weekend it was was exactly 240 lbs of seed that collapsed my deck haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QUOTE = "광선, 글 : 2705375, 회원 : 51334"]
나는 정말 바닥의 힘을 가지고 있습니다. 전천후 고무 상가 평평하게 놓아 4 인치 정도 "부유"범위가 넓습니다. 나는 비타민에 ~ 35 파운드를 더합니다. 다른 사람이 있습니다 알아?
[/ 인용문]
내 차도 같은 문제가있었습니다. 이제 나무로 라이너를 만들어 문제를 해결했습니다.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
126 Posts
Another way to reinforce the trunk floor is to replace the spare tire with a full sized tire. it will fill up a lot of that extra space, and give you a full sized spare tire instead of a donut spare tire.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Marketing actually— they want you to buy a Tacoma for “hauling” 240lb of seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
29 Posts
I designed and 3D printed this.
Any plans to sell them or release the file?
Edit: is that thing solid?
My solution so far (which works fine) is a 9"x6"x4" "yoga block" from Amazon. Had to take a sharp chef's knife and shave about 1/4" off of it to make it 3.75" thick; then it fits perfectly on top of the foam that the factory jack sits in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts