Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am past the free satellite radio subscription but noticed I still have weather on the touchscreen (cool)! But is it free forever and where does it pull that info from?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Mine updates and I don't pair my phone with entune.
Is it possible it uses GPS to update weather info?
I opted not to get GPS, I already have that on my phone and prefer Google maps. Screen shows "Downloading Info" when I first start my car so it has to be bluetooth in my case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We only have one HD radio station here (NPR) which does not have weather or traffic data. Our fully loaded Rav4 Limited with nav and a paired BT cell phone with the Entune companion app does not show weather data but will show traffic via the BT connection to the phone (when not paired or when the Entune companion app isn't running we don't get traffic data).

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Weather Channel transmits information through your local HD radio station, so as long as you're near an HD radio station, you'll continue to receive updates.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Weather Channel transmits information through your local HD radio station, so as long as you're near an HD radio station, you'll continue to receive updates.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
But not all HD radio stations carry nav or weather data as is the case where I am. If you're in a bigger metro area odds are there are multiple stations providing that data.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
The traffic feature is nice when it's available. It not only shows you where traffic is slowed, but also your position relative to the slow-down. I've used it many times to avoid congested areas and really miss it when I'm in a city where none of the HD stations are broadcasting that info.

However... in some areas I've found the info is so delayed as to be almost useless. (Both traffic and weather.) Not Toyota's fault, mind you, it's the fault of the HD station for not updating their data.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts