Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will the clutch kit you installed still work with a 4.2 with the 2.0 manual transmission? The car I'm looking at purchasing and changing over to needs a new clutch and I want to see if I can go ahead and do the upgrade instead of buying two. Eventually I would like to install the 2.4 engine which will happen within the year.

I would go as far as working on the 4.1 locking center differential but I've read enough of the work you performed on it to get it to operate and that is waaaaayyyyy out of my skill set.

Also can the Lexus RX300 limited slip rear differential still be installed without most of the other upgrades or do I have to wait for other pieces of the puzzle first?

Lastly, and only because I don't know enough, what is the difference between your 4.1 manual transmission and the 4.2? Is it just overall better? If it is then why did Toyota even change it?

I ask all of these because it doesn't seem they have been previously asked and am just wanting more specific information regarding it all. Thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
The weird thing about clutch kits is that some clutch kit brands have different parts numbers for 96-2000, 2001-2003, and 2004-2005. Some brands have one part number for 96-2003, and another one for 2004-2005. Some have the same part number from 96-2005. Celica GT4 clutch kit works, but some people needed to grind a little bit the transmission housing because the pressure-plate touch it.

I first used an Exedy clutch kit (OEM replacement), but it was sometimes slipping badly in technical obstacles... so I had to wait about 10 minutes to let it cool and grip again. I ended with the SPEC stage 1 clutch kit #ST681. I use the 1AZ 2.0L flywheel bolted to the 2AZ 2.4L. This kit is rated 350 ft/lbs, and it works perfectly.

The major difference between the RAV4.1 and RAV4.2 transmissions is the transfer-case mated to it. The RAV4.1 have an open center differential (dispatch power between front and rear differentials). It is not very efficient on slippery surfaces and off-road. BUT it is also equipped with a locker that by-pass the center diff, so the front and rear diffs are locked together (always turn the same speed) like most real 4X4.This is why it becomes VERY handy off road. The other difference is the final drive ratio (4.93)... the RAV4.2 final drive ratio is 4.56.

The RAV4.2 transmission is equipped with a viscous center differential located in the t-case. It is very efficient in most situations.... but it is not a locker. It's a limited slip differential that does it's possible to limit slip between front and rear diffs.

About the rear LSD differential, try to find one that came from factory in a 96-2005 RAV4, or Highlander... they are bolt-on. If you can't find one, you can source one off a RX300 or GT4 Celica.... but you'll need to swap the LSD unit from one diff housing to your's. You will also need to modify your stub shafts a little bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I just started a new thread regarding the rear differential swap but I see you have a lot of good information here. I would like to gain the LSD but really I just need a replacement unit. Do you know what year the highlanders are that are bolt on and is the 4.1 Rav4 unit bolt on?
The highlander rear differential seems to be more available than the Rav4 and is cheaper also.
Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
The RAV4.1 complete differential is bolt-on... it's the exact same diff.

The internals and stub shafts from a 2001-2004 Highlander have the same parts numbers. But the differential housing itself won't fit to the RAV4... the casting and bolts location are different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The RAV4.1 complete differential is bolt-on... it's the exact same diff.

The internals and stub shafts from a 2001-2004 Highlander have the same parts numbers. But the differential housing itself won't fit to the RAV4... the casting and bolts location are different.
Thanks, I guess I'll look for a Rav4 diff then.
What do you look for to tell if a diff is LSD? Some sources say if you turn one axle and the other goes the same direction then it has LSD, that would be easier than pulling the cover.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
What do you look for to tell if a diff is LSD? Some sources say if you turn one axle and the other goes the same direction then it has LSD, that would be easier than pulling the cover.
This trick does not apply to a torsen type LSD. If you do this, both wheels will turn in the opposite direction exactly like an open diff. One thing you can do is pry a stub shaft trying to remove it from the diff. If it pop out, it's a torsen. If you can't remove it, it's an open diff.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Nothing really special today. But my Ebay roof rack was now completely rotten. So I replaced it with a Rola, and it is much more robust. The only downside now is some wind noise. :( I also found a hood with a scoop, so it's the perfect upgrade to install my future top mount intercooler. :)

Reactions: JWILSON

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks good, set right up for a caldina 3sgte swap.
Ive got that same hood on my chili :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great thread Commando! Greetings from Australia! I'm just getting started with my recently acquired 2005 manual Rav and just wanted to clarify something with your gearbox and transfer case swap, are the 4.1 version diff ratios the same as the 4.2? Or did you also swap the rear diff out of the 4.1 into your 4.2?

I'm getting suspension sorted at the moment and have already fitted 235/70/16 that I picked up 2nd hand on Sunrasias from an early jeep.

Edit: Also, would the 4.1 transfer case mate up to the 4.2 gearbox?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Hi AngryAnt, welcome to Rav4World!

All RAV4 up to 2005 (whatever auto or manual) have the same rear diff ratio. The t-case is geared to give 1:1 with any final drive ratio in the transmission.

The t-case to transmission bolt pattern is the same for 4.1 or 4.2.... but the splines are not compatible between them, so we can't mix them.

I don't know if you want to do a RAV4.1 trans and t-case swap like I did, but it's a lot of work and modification to do it. If you can do this yourself or with a friend you'll save money (but you need to know what you do!). If you pay a transmission shop to do it, it's NOT worth the money you'll spend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We definitely have the capability to do it ourselves, just trying to nut out the finer details. Same electronic speedometer sensor? Seems like my 2.4 clutch will work. What about going to the later Rav 4.3 transfer case?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I took my transmission out of a 1998 and it has the same electronic VSS. Yes you still use your 2.4L flywheel and clutch-kit. The 4.1 transmission don't bolt to the 1AZ/2AZ. You need to open both transmissions to make one hybrid. You need to swap bearings and different internal parts. Both transmissions use an oil pump to lubricate strategic sections inside the transmissions and t-case, but they pass at different places. You need to drill some holes to create oil passages. You need to fab a custom right front axle. Etc, etc...

As for the RAV4.3 t-case, it would not be of any interest even if it would bolt. There is no differential inside compared to the 4.1 and 4.2. So for everyday use it would create drivetrain binding and break u-joints. It would be much less trouble to weld your actual RAV4.2 center diff to get the same result.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to share a bit of transformation of my rav and thanks to commando for sharing this.
This rav is everyday car and what ever i done i just for show and satisfaction of ride.
Here are the parts:
King spring 50mm raised spring
from 76cm front and rear. Installed lift springs front 80cm and rearof 80cm.
Installed hub centric wheel spacer made to order front 1.25 inch and rear 2inch
tyre 235 70 16so the height now is 8cm front and 82cm rear
still waiting for my leveling kit that comes from russia
thanks again to commando

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to share a bit of transformation of my rav and thanks to commando for sharing this.
This rav is everyday car and what ever i done i just for show and satisfaction of ride.
Here are the parts:
View attachment 153472 from 76cm front and rear. Installed lift springs front 80cm and rearof 80cm.
Installed hub centric wheel spacer made to order front 1.25 inch and rear 2inch View attachment 153473 View attachment 153474 View attachment 153475 View attachment 153476 tyre 235 70 16so the height now is 8cm front and 82cm rear
View attachment 153477 View attachment 153478 still waiting for my leveling kit that comes from russia View attachment 153479 View attachment 153480 View attachment 153481 thanks again to commando
Hi Tamaeaw!! Your Rav4 is very beautiful!!
Can I ask you where you bought the lift springs??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are the parts:
View attachment 153472 from 76cm front and rear. Installed lift springs front 80cm and rearof 80cm.
Installed hub centric wheel spacer made to order front 1.25 inch and rear 2inch View attachment 153473 View attachment 153474 View attachment 153475 View attachment 153476 tyre 235 70 16so the height now is 8cm front and 82cm rear
View attachment 153477 View attachment 153478 still waiting for my leveling kit that comes from russia View attachment 153479 View attachment 153480 View attachment 153481 thanks again to commando
however strange that it is only 32 "high at the rear. mine with a 40mm rubber lift kit and 235/70 r16 tires reaches 84cm behind which would be 33"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes your right and thanks for the comparison. I just checked the rear, yours is higher than mine. Now i have the reason to install my rubber once its arrive from russia. I was thinking not too because it might be too high.:cool:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Your RAV4 is looking good Tamaraw, thanks for sharing!

Where Tamaraw is at 82cm and Miky92c 84cm, I'm at 90.5 cm. ;)

181 - 200 of 228 Posts