Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
I have a new friend that owns a 2018 RAV4 Trail... so we made a ride together last week-end.

Some random pics...

A new little video (sorry for the poor quality). The center diff lock was NOT locked when I did it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Last night I saw a rescue request on FB because 2 Jeep and a Tundra were stuck in swamp in a trail near where I live. So I went there to see if I could help. There was already another pick-up wanting to help that got stuck before reaching other vehicles. My RAV4 put everyone on the road again without getting stuck myself!

Reactions: Mistermike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last night I saw a rescue request on FB because 2 Jeep and a Tundra were stuck in swamp in a trail near where I live. So I went there to see if I could help. There was already another pick-up wanting to help that got stuck before reaching other vehicles. My RAV4 put everyone on the road again without getting stuck myself!

😎😎😎👍🏻

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Warrior what are the biggest tires you have installed?
-225/75/16 All Terrain tires
-235/70/16 Mud Terrain tires

Both sizes gives about 29.5'' tall.... because M/T tires have more tread depth.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
I also have 235/70 r16, but in my opinion there are also 245/75 r16
245/75/16 would only fit if they are touring tires.... not A/T or M/T.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Your a legend

commando!!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)
you already tried? touch somewhere?
A friend tried it with 10/32'' used tires, and it rubs in front on the bumper cover and rocker panels... when the steering is slightly turned hitting a bump. Probably that different offset wheels may correct this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's awesome Commando!

So it's been about 8 months since we talked tires and the Rav's capabilities offroad, etc. I'm here to tell you that I've been really impressed with the places I've been able to go with this thing. I don't see myself doing big upgrades like yourself with a manual transmission and LSD, but one thing I am wondering about doing is a bigger (if there already is one) transmission cooler? The trails I go on are desert/sand/loose dirt and lots of 4-8inch rocks here in Southern California/Arizona/Nevada. The last trail I went on had a few steep incline sections on loose dirt/rocks. I was able to make it up but it was a real struggle. At one point i thought the engine was going to die on me and I could definitely smell transmission fluid so I'm thinking it's running real hot. Any suggestions? Or should I got out and buy a Toyota FJ and call it a day lol 😂

Cheers buddy, hope you are well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very much inspired by you, Commando.

I have a question though. I have medium duty OME springs coming to me in the mail. Did you find a need to have shocks that are longer than stock with your lift? I don't plan on adding spacers right away but that could always be a possibility later on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Hi MisterMike! I'm happy you enjoy to bring your RAV4 offroad. For sure an external transmission oil cooler could be added to your RAV4. There is a great variety of different sizes cooler available... and it is even possible to mount a thermostat on the cooler to make it works only when the oil temp is over a certain temperature.

Clemmyrav; the OME lift coils works well with the factory lenght shocks... they are long enough.

Reactions: Clemmyrav

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey. Thanks for the build thread, really cool stuff!
Wanted to ask you about your winch. From pictures, I noticed you're using the Warrior C8000 EWX winch. How's it working out so far? I'm looking for a winch for my own build, but I don't know much about winches, haha. Isn't 8000lbs an overkill for a 1500kg rav? And got any recommendations on any specific winches?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
Hi Overland&Hike;

My winch is about 10 years old and still works great. 8,000 lbs are about the smallest winches made for SUV/4X4. As a rule of thumb, you have to take the gross weight of a vehicle and multiply it by 1.5 times minimum. My RAV4 is rated 1,809 kg (3,988 lbs). So it needs a 6,000 lbs winch minimum to get out of any bad position. If i'm stuck in deep mud, the suction created will requires a winch with much greater pulling capacity than the RAV4 weight itself.

BUT; a snatch block/pulley will double the pulling power of the winch. So if you have a 4,000 lbs winch, it will be able to pull 8,000 lbs. An important thing to know is that the less rope/wire is out of the winch, the less power it has! Because pulling power decreases with the number of layers of wire/rope on the winch drum. In fact you need to have only one layer of rope around the drum to get the maximum output rated on the winch. So each additionnal layers around the drum reduce greatly the pulling capacity. ;)

Synthetic rope has many advantages over wire. It is much lighter (you save weight also because it use an aluminum fairlead instead of big steel rollers). It floats on water, you won't hurt your hands manipulating the rope, etc. The only disavantage I found is that if it get wet during winter; the rope is not useable because it becomes an ice block.

If you want to know more: type ''winch buyer's guide'' and/or ''winch review'' on google... you'll find a lot of info! Warn winches are the best... but they are not cheap! If you don't plan to use it frequently, a Runva would do the job and be much more budget friendly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Overland&Hike;

My winch is about 10 years old and still works great. 8,000 lbs are about the smallest winches made for SUV/4X4. As a rule of thumb, you have to take the gross weight of a vehicle and multiply it by 1.5 times minimum. My RAV4 is rated 1,809 kg (3,988 lbs). So it needs a 6,000 lbs winch minimum to get out of any bad position. If i'm stuck in deep mud, the suction created will requires a winch with much greater pulling capacity than the RAV4 weight itself.

BUT; a snatch block/pulley will double the pulling power of the winch. So if you have a 4,000 lbs winch, it will be able to pull 8,000 lbs. An important thing to know is that the less rope/wire is out of the winch, the less power it has! Because pulling power decreases with the number of layers of wire/rope on the winch drum. In fact you need to have only one layer of rope around the drum to get the maximum output rated on the winch. So each additionnal layers around the drum reduce greatly the pulling capacity. ;)

Synthetic rope has many advantages over wire. It is much lighter (you save weight also because it use an aluminum fairlead instead of big steel rollers). It floats on water, you won't hurt your hands manipulating the rope, etc. The only disavantage I found is that if it get wet during winter; the rope is not useable because it becomes an ice block.

If you want to know more: type ''winch buyer's guide'' and/or ''winch review'' on google... you'll find a lot of info! Warn winches are the best... but they are not cheap! If you don't plan to use it frequently, a Runva would do the job and be much more budget friendly.
I had already heard somewhere that synthetic rope is better than steel. Having all that weight up on the front tip of the vehicle is supposedly bad.

Thanks for explaining how stong a winch I'd need. Didn't know about the 1.5 times rule. I think I'll also go with an 8000lbs winch. My car weighs 1430kg stock, but with additional stuff and the driver, it could get up to 1600-1700, so it would need to be rated at 2550kg / 5600lbs minimum.

I plan on doing some offroading on the weekends and longer overlanding trips every once in a while, so having a winch in the front will help with my confidence. For instance, last weekend I wanted to tackle a really thick, muddy road, but I didn't do it just because I was alone and didn't have good recovery options (aside from a shovel and a strap).

I won't purchase it immediately, so I'll definitely do more research before getting one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
My RAV4 weighs 1430kg stock.
Is this the weight seen on the driver's door vin plate? If yes I'm asking myself why yours is significantly lighter (almost 400 kg) than a US/Can RAV4.2. :unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this the weight seen on the driver's door vin plate? If yes I'm asking myself why yours is significantly lighter (almost 400 kg) than a US/Can RAV4.2. :unsure:
It's Kerb Weight. My registration shows 1430, and this website shows that it's 1445kg. 2001-2004 Toyota RAV4 2.0 D-4D Tech Specs & Comparisons 🚘

EDIT: I'm guessing you were talking about gross weight then, which is 1690kg for a 2.0 petrol engine. Then my old diesel is even heavier lol. The gross weight on it is 1925kg.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Yes I was talking about the gross weight... it's what is on the door's vin plate. Like I said before, mine is 1,809kg.

I was asking what I could do in the trunk of the RAV4 to take more advantage of the cargo space. So I made an easily removable shelf. My biggest propane camping stove can also stand on it to cook if needed! I'm very happy with the result. :)

Reactions: Overland&Hike
201 - 220 of 228 Posts