Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
It's the maximum lift on front left side. When the suspension is fully extended, the front left shock base is almost touching the axle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Yes the front left axle is shorter and get a bit more angle. Lifted springs don't make any difference about it, because the shock always stay the same lenght when fully extended. But if a strut spacers is say 40mm, it adds 40mm of travel to the shock lenght.

If a RAV4 is only lifted with springs, it does not gain more suspension travel/flex. In front, the strut spacers is what add travel. In the back, longer shocks is what gives more travel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok very useful information :) interesting is what is the maximum size of the spacers.

What about durability of the RAV4, people in my country says that i will burn viscous, break transacle and cook ATF oil during my first time in sand and on the hils. What is your experience regarding that?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
When i bought my strut spacers, the maximum thickness available was 40mm. But I've seen on your build thread that you found 2'' spacers. On my RAV4, 2'' spacers would cause the front left shock to rub on the axle when the suspension is fully extended. I don't know if it would be the same with all shocks brands. May be the design of the KYB I have is what cause this.... I can't tell.

About the transmission, I have a manual not auto. But I'm sure the auto transmission is equipped with an oil cooler... so it would be possible to install a bigger one, if needed.

Auto and manual RAV4.2 have the same transfer-case with the viscous integrated in it. It won't burn, don't worry! But because it is a LSD, it limits the slip.... it's not a locker. So it may happen under some specific circumstances that it won't transfer any power to the front or rear differentials (the viscous is the center differential). If this happens, it will work exactly the same way it did before, when the obstacle will be passed.

I won't worry about your RAV4... so many people with RAV4.1-RAV4.2 have biggers tires and do off-road without any mechanical issue. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
with this 2 inches it is just marketing :) seller measured for me length, and they are 4cm

Yes there is an ATF cooler, i am thinking about installing bigger cooler or mounting there a fan.

Is there any tune to modify viscous to something with center locking?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
There is no way to lock the viscous without welding the center diff gears together. And if you do this, it will do ''drivetrain binding/driveline windup'' on paved roads... and you will break the rear driveshaft u-joint when turning.

The RAV4.2 4wd system is almost identical to the Celica GT4 ST205. Agile Performance NZ developped a shaft that transfer the viscous LSD action from the center diff to the front diff. But the downside is center diff gears need to be welded to work. Check the video on the link, you will understand exactly how your RAV4 4WD works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is very bad information because this is the biggest weaknes of this car. Maybe there is a chance to change oil in viscous with additives to have harder connection. Because with two front wheels in the air i understand that this viscous cannot transfer enought torque to move the car. Are there any technical documents regarding how much power/torque this viscous can transfer?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
No I did not found any specific info about how much force the viscous needs to begin to slip. Like a wrote on your build thread, you can't add LSD additive. The viscous is a scelled unit. It is not serviceable. And by the way; LSD additives are made to remove ''chatter'' in a clutch-pack lsd. So the more you add additives.... the less it locks!

The RAV4.2 viscous system is excellent for most situations. But if you want a locker in the center diff, you need to buy a manual RAV4.1. They have an open center diff, BUT there is a switch and a mechanism to lock it. This is exactly why I installed a RAV4.1 transmission and t-case on my RAV4.2. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Tmel88; I love your Tundra! :) In Canada, we never had the Rock Warrior edition.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
Tmel88; don't know if you have seen this: :p

I've seen some Toyota Tundra that had a different trim: Rock Warrior edition.

I like so much the logo, I decided to make a custom one based on it. Warrior is my nickname on some other forums, and my winch's brand. I'm also a veteran, so this word is not worthless for me.

The RAV4 Trail edition did not exist for the RAV4.2.... so I created mine! :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Yes, because it cancel the center diff. But this shaft don't fit a RAV4.... I posted it only to help understand how the RAV4.2 4WD system works, the video do a good job for this.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts