Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Adventure and have an after market hitch installed. I have been towing our Rockwood freedom pop trailer with a dry weight of 1,896 lbs. I have had no issues, the power is great even going up steep hills in the Sierras no no issues with break going down those hills. Hardly even notice Im towing.
The problem I have is that when the trailer is attached it drops the height of the hitch (back of car) down quite a lot so it can scrape entering a driveway.
The dealership where pretty helpless with this and didn't know what to do.
I have read different things about airbags in the suspension or weight distribution systems. So I am not sure what the best solution. Has anyone else found a solution?

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
An easy and inexpensive option is to add air helper springs which can be inflated when towing and deflated when you aren't to maintain ride quality.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think are similar in how it will help. Depending on how often you are towing and the distances, if not much, I would be inclined to go with the cheaper option

·
Registered
175 Posts
The problem I found was the 900lbs capacity. I measured my pop-up tongue weight at 200lbs, then add two adults, one large dog, camping supplies, food, etc. and I was at or over 900lbs the Adventure can handle. Yes, I added Firestone airbags (from etrailer) which stopped the rear drop. But here in the Rockies, it was too much for the Adventure. Sold my 2018 Adventure back in Feb of this year and got a Tacoma DC, TRD, OR 4x4. This solved my problem. My pop-up manufacturer, Viking—(Forest River) said not to use a weight distribution hitch on my model. Sway control optional, but haven’t needed one.

On a side note: if you buy the Firestone airbags, the manufacturer does not recognize eBay or Amazon as a retailer for warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts