Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. With the factory roof rack weight limit being 102lbs, is that the result of it's attachment to the vehicle being weak, or the rack itself being weak?

Does an aftermarket rack make the weight limit somewhat of a non-issue, with the weight limit becoming that of the rack?

Out another way, is the limit the vehicle or the rack?

Yakima's rack weight limit for what I want is 250lbs, which is beyond the 170lbs I need.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Ask Toyota where the limit lies. No one here designed it so we've no idea. Either way it sounds like you plan to overload it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Remember, these weight limits were imposed by lawyers, not engineers. You will find the limits and capacities much greater for the same vehicle in Europe and other regions.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I know we far exceeded 100lbs with a full Sears X-Cargo XL roof carrier on our cross country move. Aside from some scratches on the crossbars it held up fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can just replace the cross bars with the Yakima ones. I was looking at a rooftop tent made by Yakima. They specifically test and certify different vehicles. That tent setup is close to 200 pounds. I think they rated the gen 3 rav to allow use of the tent plus 400 pounds of human weight in the two person tent. This was only after replacing the cross bars and cross bar mounts ( I think they call them "towers") with the Yakima parts.. The main base rails from the factory that run from the front to back of the rav remain in place.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Keep in mind that if you have extra weight on top, you're drastically altering your vertical centre of gravity, making your RAV more prone to leaning in turns or emergency evasive maneuvers. JuneBug is right about the lawyers, but in this case with the rotational moment, I think the engineers would have had some input. Good luck and enjoy!

Reactions: packmule
1 - 7 of 7 Posts