Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 RAV came with the steel wheels and I was thinking about getting a nice new set of lightweight wheels. How much does the oem 16" steel wheels weigh?

I would like to compare as I shop and dream. :lol:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I don't know the weight of the Steel wheels but if you would like to know the Alloys weigh. They are around 21 lbs

Walt

·
Registered
685 Posts
:( I guess I'm about 8 hrs too late.....just had my winters mounted on my steel rims today. They're actually Highlander steelies but probably about the same weight.....16X6.5''.....
I find the Highlander rims better looking actually.......no exposed seams..... 8)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't have a scale but my guess is 25-30 lbs. Unbelivable how much heavier they are. I was surprised after I bought my new wheels just a few weeks ago, on howmuch more they weighed.

Glad to see you got your tires on Bluenoser. Get your lug nuts?

Later. M.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I would tend to agree that the weight is probably around 25-30 each. The steel oems look pretty good for your basic oem wheel, but I know how much those steel wheels can weigh. I also am aware of the performance benefit from lightening unsprung weight from a vehicle.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I do notice some difference in handling and braking with my steel winter wheels on vs my OEM alluminum ones. Lighter the better I guess. Later. M.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Marc.....Got the lug nuts at NAPA for $1.33 ea, same as yours....
Seems every guy there has a different price...... :? ....but maybe we got wholesale...... :wink: Wheels will go on at the first real snowfall.......March I hope.... :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The extra unsprung weight of the steel rims in the winter is actually benificial so no worry. You want the tires to dig deaper into the snow and slush anyhow.
For me i just don't like the look of the Steelies and i have 3 sets of alloys right now. Which reminds me i have to get rid of one set out of the basement :roll:
As for the summer, well, if you can afford some nice 16 lb alloys then your in heaven :D

Walt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts