Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home in our other car and pulled in the garage and I notice the RAV (2008 limited) is beeping- one beep (like the lock beep) every 30 seconds. I get the fob and lock and unlock it which works fine- still beeping. Started it, no warning lights, started fine. Turn it off- beeping again.

I searched and searched and haven't found anything on this. Any ideas?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
Just got home in our other car and pulled in the garage and I notice the RAV (2008 limited) is beeping- one beep (like the lock beep) every 30 seconds. I get the fob and lock and unlock it which works fine- still beeping. Started it, no warning lights, started fine. Turn it off- beeping again.
That is weird! Do you have an alarm system? Is the sound coming from the beeper under the hood or the one in the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
i have heard a little beep like that coming from my rav not sure wat it is, just a one beep
sounds like it near the steering somewhere under the dash board
Is your beep when the car is stopped and you are pressing the brake? See Hill-start assist control, which is discussed on page 187 of my Owner's Manual.

The beep every thirty seconds is not that... it sound like some kind of low-battery indicator on a device. Did you drop your cellphone, and its battery is running down?

·
Registered
286 Posts
well the beep i am hearing its not under the hood its more under the dash/cluster region the rav have its own factory security feature whatever that is. i use a key less entry an push button start i dont have hill start assist , but the beep would happen like when i am driving to not every 30sec as was said but u hear it beep every now an then ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's outside, the same beep as the door lock/unlock beep. I don't have any aftermarket alarms or anything.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Tyler....I noticed in your first post that you said it happened in your garage the first time you noticed it. Can you say for certain that it beeps anywhere else BUT your garage?..Is it possible that the beep is coming from a smoke alarm with a failing battery in the garage?. Just a random idea that you may need to check out.

Nick

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Normally, if the RAV is unlocked with the remote it will give off two beeps. If a door is not opened at that time it will relock the doors in 30 seconds and give off a single beep.

Your RAV may be stuck in a loop , constantly trying to lock the doors. Try leaving a door open and see if the beeping continues.

Maybe there is some radio interference making the RAV think it is getting a signal from the remote. Does the beeping occur only in your garage. or does it occur everywhere? Does it occur when both sets of remote keys are out of range? ( try wrapping them in tin foil).

Do you always get the single "lock" beep, or do you also get the double "unlock" beep.

If the above tests do not produce any results , I suggest disconnecting the main battery for several minutes. Confirm the beeps stop during this time, and then reconnect the battery. Hopefully a CPU needs to be reset somewhere.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
So...I'm a bonehead. It was the garage door opener. Bad battery. D'oh
So Nick was the winner!

Was this noise coming from the motor unit of the GDO or was it coming from the remote? I'm guessing that you have an opener with an internal backup battery deigned to work during AC failures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i dont have hill start assist
Yes you do... while on drive like at a stop light press the brake all the way down and hold it till it beeps. it will hold your brakes for a bit once you let them go and start letting go gradually, if you do it on an uphill it allows you to let go of the brake and gives you time to press on the accelerator without rolling back down the hill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this post, I will join the bonehead crew. Almost paid the local car dealer $200 for a diagnostics, but it turns out the beep was my garage door opener battery backup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts