Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My almost 4 months old Hybrid RAV4 XLE started to develop this weird sour/sweet smell whenever I turn AC off and leave the fan on, the smell remains regardless if I hit the air recycle button or not. If I turn AC on then the smell goes away.

Also, I've recently had a major radiator leak that required a warranty swap of a whole new radiator, and splash residue from that nightmarish event are still evident under the hood, the smell really started after this event. I'm not sure if it's related but I'm very worried about that major coolant leak somehow got into the ventilation system.

Do you guys think I should take the car in for a check up.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Has the area where the radiator leaked been thoroughly washed? From experience it doesn't take much coolant and coolant residue to create that sort of smell. We had a Subaru which had a radiator leak and the smell persisted for quite a while even after the leak area supposedly had been cleaned by dealer personnel. I finally had to hose off much of the radiator mounting frame and lower engine bay along with the plastic shield underneath the bay to get rid of the smell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts