Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had issues starting their Rav out of nowhere? Went home to eat lunch on my break, and when I tried t on leave the starter wouldn't even turn. Leaving the key to 'On' results in my dash flashing like crazy as if there isn't enough power to start.

With the key out, remote unlock/lock works. Depressing the brake pedal completely turns the dash off. I once got the dash to completely start up and get AC running while using the battery charger, but turning the key kills it again.

Tried charging with a battery charger for an hour and no dice. Trying a Jumpstart tonight. Do you guys think it's just a battery issue? This is the one time I didn't park in the shade for lunch, and we have had some very hot sun this past week. I attached a video link:

Video Link

·
Registered
25 Posts
Probably just the battery.
Ever replace it? Mine just died at ~48k miles on a 2015. If you're on a similar schedule you'd be ready for #3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably just the battery.
Ever replace it? Mine just died at ~48k miles on a 2015. If you're on a similar schedule you'd be ready for #3.
Yeah I don't think I've replaced the battery since I got this thing a few years ago. I think it's just weird that it ran fine less than an hour prior! I'll try a proper Jumpstart when I get home later. I'm really hoping it's a battery issue and not any electronics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Short drive home?
When mine died I started my car at my house just fine, drove down the road ~4 miles went into a store, came back out... battery was toast. 1 maybe 2 cranks then nothing.

Hopefully it's the battery. Other options aren't so cheap!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I tried a jump and it didn't work. After charging the dash stops flickering if I let it sit for a second and everything seems normal, but when I try to turn the key it dies again.

Turning on the headlights completely kills the dash, turning AC or just air on kills the dash (air does run though) depressing the brake pedal kills the dash. I really don't know what is up. I cleaned the battery terminals and made sure they are snug. All the fuses look fine on first inspection.

Edit: got it working after second jump attempt. My brother put the jumper on painted metal the first time :( off to buy a new battery. Thanks for the reply guys, I'll be back if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Get a new battery! I changed mine out when I discovered a weak cell. A battery is only as good as its weakest cell BTW. On a side note, when I checked the battery recently its condition was at 88% - the charge was 100%. I charge the battery every so often because it can hold a charge and I keep it on a shelf in the garage just in case.🙂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Mikey D.
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing