Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I haven't done much night driving yet with my 2016 XLE, I just noticed something weird with my Entune and having the headlights on...

With the headlights on (not in DRL mode) the radio screen dims, like it should, or like it did... but the past few days I've noticed that for some reason the screen will change to full-on brightness, maybe last for 5 minutes or so, then go back to dim. Sometimes it doesn't even go back to dim, it just stays bright. Oh, and I have the dashboard lights just at the highest point before the dial snaps up in the "end" position.

I assume there's no ambient light sensor anywhere in the vehicle that causes this as one time I noticed it happening was on a pretty deserted highway with barely any street lights.

Is this a defect? And if so, how in the heck do I get my dealer to notice this, since it's pretty intermittent? Does anyone else have this issue? Should the display stay bright with the headlights on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed something like this also. I believe there is an ambient light sensor, because I've seen the screen bright only when I've been driving on well-lit roads or at dusk. I traded in a 2009 Prius for my 2016 RAV4, and this is one of the few "features" I'm not happy with - I liked being able to control the display brightness myself, rather than having it automatically bright when I don't want this.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I found an ambient light sensor on the front-most air vent immediately left of the vent
on the dash board where the windshield connects to dash.
Also there is a "daytime" screen brightness setting for the infotainment system.
I'm assuming if that "daytime" mode is unchecked it will change the brightness for night time driving.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
To set that mode during daylight you have to cover the light sensor near the windshield, otherwise the option isn't available to change.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was able to set brightness for night and day mode inside the mid. The trip display has 4 readouts; Trip A, Trip B, ODO and brightness. I could also set ambient light sensor sensitivity from -2 to +2 which I guess controls when DRL or low beam is active + changes low/high mode on the cluster

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was able to set brightness for night and day mode inside the mid. The trip display has 4 readouts; Trip A, Trip B, ODO and brightness. I could also set ambient light sensor sensitivity from -2 to +2 which I guess controls when DRL or low beam is active + changes low/high mode on the cluster

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Yeah you have a non-usa version of rav4.
For the USA versions, the trip display only has 3 readouts; Trip, Trip A, and Trip B.
I have to set ambient light sensor sensitivity in the infotainment system for the DRL sensitivity.
Also my instrument/illumination brightness is set by a dimmer wheel to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
On mine I noticed there are (2) different DRV light modes. The first is daytime, which will not dim the interior gauges and stereo, the 2nd is dusk running lights that turns on the same lights (plus tail lights), but does dim the interior lights for evening driving. Depending on which is selected, could this be causing part of this "conflict"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts